Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ProfiLux 3: What to do in the case a firmware update failed

Quote Originally Posted by stripestheeel View Post
    I am trying with the serial/USB adapter but it is not recognising it on any of the COMMS ports. My system has been down for almost 6 hours now.

I seem to establish a connection with the USB but I get the message saying press RESET on the unit, nothing is coming up on the unit or the PC.

I am starting to get worried.
    I fixed it! YAY!

Default This is unacceptable

This is absolutely unacceptable. I paid a lot for this device and I'm CONSTANTLY fighting hardware battles - vortechs not working right, etc.

I just tried to update to the new 5.11 firmware and it crashed. Now, I can't reflash it because I don't have a USB to SERIAL cable (nor can I find one ANYWHERE), and my laptop has no serial cable connection. Now I have a useless box and my lights aren't dimming down nor is my vortech connection working. This is insanely frustrating and I'm really thinking of jumping to the neptune controller - this has been frustration after frustration.

I don't mean to come down on you guys like this, but it's sooooo frustrating. Is there STILL no software that works with USB? Who even uses serial anymore!?

I totally feel like this piece of hardware is 1990's hardware at 2011 prices.
    Last edited by samyueru; 25.11.2011 at 17:01.

I understand your frustration, however there is a very positive reason why RS232 is the more stable download option.

ALL large system controllers use RS232 due to its very stable ability to download data, home automation systems still rely on RS232 for this same reason, same as car engine management systems. Look at GHL as not a basic aquarium controller but an automation system. You mention Neptune, the product has very little comparsion to GHL other than its use in aquariums.

My advise would be to get cheap USB to RS232 converter and you will never have issues like this again.

For the USA market we are looking at supplying these with kits but this is about 3 months away.

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

Thanks for listening to my vent and having some patience. I know i'll stay with my p3 anyway, but it's just irritating and I'm in a bad mood today! I didn't really have time to go out and find a converter - I live in the middle of nowhere.

Okay, well, I'm going out to buy one, I'll let you know how I fare.

Thanks,
    -A

Try and get one that comes with its own driver disk this is a sign of better quality, some out there are simply made to make you go grey!

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

I have a sweex serial to usb and it works.

Also be happy we have this way of recovering, imagine you have to send back your device to get it repaired from a failed flash
    Last edited by Blahenazo; 25.11.2011 at 19:20.

Yeah, I'm glad there's a way to do it, but still a little annoyed that a program wasn't developed for USB to do it, even if USB isn't as "good" as serial for that.

BUT, I did make an hour long drive to staples and picked up a usb-serial cable and it looks like it's working. ($40!!! ugh) I'm just glad I haven't started using my GHL to control temp & top offs, because I'm not sure what I would have done in that case!

What I do appreciate is the very rapid replies I got to this, I'm glad you guys are here for emergencies! (and, in other news, the new software 5112 fixed the vortech problem I was having!

Again, thanks for listening to my grouchiness and helping me out.

Yeah, I'm glad there's a way to do it, but still a little annoyed that a program wasn't developed for USB to do it, even if USB isn't as "good" as serial for that.
    To explain this a little bit for you:

A serial connect is very easy to implement - you need two pins you can switch on and off - and that´s it. This is very easy and with low effort to implement, even for a microcontroller. Against that, USB connect with its handshake and defined levels is really "high level programming". So coompare serial with USB connection is like to compare a scooter with a Rolls Royce.

To be on safe side, there is a very small programm saved inside the controller of the PL you can´t delete or alter, called "Bootloader". Normally it does nothing but giving control to the high level firmware at startup. But if there is no or a corrupt high level firmware, it´s possible to advice that boatloader to get a new firmware and store it in place of the not working one.

So you musn´t see that opion as an anarchic step back but as what it is: An nearly under all circumstances possible option to recover your PL3, regardless if there was a power drop during update, a mishandling or anything else result in dead device.

Only my 2cent:
    Normally it´s not neccessary to have a serial port and the GHL serial cable, but in my opinion you should have reachable the software , cable and advice how to do it whenever you perform a firmware update. It may happen anything unforseen during normal update and then you are happy to have that possibility in reach.

Default This file is no longer in the download center / now what to do

Software not in download center?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    if the update with ProfiLuxControl failed it is possible to update with another tool

1. download http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Download/Flash-FR.zip
    2. save it somewhere you will find it, no installation required
    3. start "flash.exe"
    4. select "MB91F467D" as controller, 4MHz, navigate to the firmware file (click "open")
    5. check the interface (under "set environment")
    6. disconnect ProfiLux 3 from power (it is not necessary to open the enclosure and to set a jumper like it was ProfiLux II!)
    7. now click "full operation" - ProfiLux still has no power!
    8. plug in the DC-connector - ProfiLux has now power again and the download should start

Hint: If the update with ProfiLuxControl failed then there is maybe something wrong with your connection from PC to ProfiLux 3. Please ensure that your connection is stable and reliable before attempting to update with ProfiLuxControl or this tool, e.g. check the USB driver and update it if possible.

No need to double post that. It is still there: http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/...oad.php?did=48