Thread: RS232 Max Cable Length?

Default RS232 Max Cable Length?

Does anyone know the maximum length that the RS232 cable can be and still send a strong enough signal to update firmware? I have 1 computer that has a serial port and it is hooked to my CNC router in the garage a good ~50 foot away from the Profilux. Anyone see this as being an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The standard does not define a maximum cable length but instead defines the maximum capacitance that a compliant drive circuit must tolerate. A widely used rule of thumb indicates that cables more than 50 feet (15 m) long will have too much capacitance, unless special cables are used. By using low-capacitance cables, full speed communication can be maintained over larger distances up to about 1,000 feet (300 m). For longer distances, other signal standards are better suited to maintain high speed.
    The max. length with 9600 Baud is theoretically ~500 feet (152 m). I don't see this as beeing an issue.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.