Thread: Conductivity setup

Default Conductivity setup

I recently installed my conductivity probe, I am trying to use this to stabilise my salinity. Is it possible to setup like what I have done to control maintain salinity.
    Did I miss something? How do I maintain 1026 range?
    also when done calibrating I have a reading of 1023 in density, but when I test the tank water using hanna refracto meter is 1026.
    as you see I have set 0.003 to compensate the reading in profilux, is this the correct way to do that?

Thanks

condct.jpgscket.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hendrikherry; 03.04.2015 at 15:41.

ms reading

ms.jpg

from the profilux controller reading is 1.0263, it have increased from 1.0259 . How do I maintain solid 1.0260

THanks
    Last edited by Hendrikherry; 03.04.2015 at 15:51.

First I like to state I only use any electronic sensor as indication only... as its just to much fluctuating (mainly due to temperature fluctuations).
    I don't use kg/l value but m/s value.... 53.0mS is equal to 1.0265.
    See table ....

Pic3.png

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrikherry View Post
    ms reading

ms.jpg

from the profilux controller reading is 1.0263, it have increased from 1.0259 . How do I maintain solid 1.0260

THanks
    To me small fluctuations are pretty normal.
    You can actualy get a change if you feed certain organic matter.

But to control this is complex.

If salinity it high how do you want to change it.
    Put in fresh water or do you drain a portion of the system and put in a lower salinity mixuture. Then what actual salinity to get it correct for the amount you drain out.
    What happens if you go a little bit over. Do you start again.
    No, to try to maintain this to a fixed parameter is very difficult.
    Better to use the probe to watch what your tank is doing and if it is climbing or dropping, understand what is actually causing it and adjust that.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

I was going to install a container with fresh RODI water , and setup one of dosing pump channel for dosing it.
    Set nominal value around 51.00ms and hysteris 0.3Ms , it supposed to starting dosing fresh RODI when the reading hit
    51,3ms and stop the dosing when the reading is lowered to nominal value. Is my theory correct?
    Actualy I did tried to setup like I mentioned, it did not work as I expected . When the ms reading over 0.3 from nominal value ,". Dosing pump channel 4 did dosing freshwater . Sadly after 5liter dosing does not lower the reading at all. Did I miss something.

And for the fluctuation it did fluctuated during my temp changing, My chiller is set on at 25 and of at 27.

Thanks

Hendrik

Default Conductivity setup

Hi Hendrikherry,
    I highly recommend you NOT to automate salinity control!
    If you have a god ATO system and a proper water change method, than there is low to no reason to correct salinity.
    You will put your tank in danger if you rely on the conductivity probe. The biggest problem is long time correct readings. There is always a bacteria or algae film building up on the electrodes. Also snails and star fish (asterina) can change readings for a significant time and value.
    To reduce this you will try to rinse and calibrate the probe frequently. In my experience at-least twice a month.
    Long story short: the risk is not worth the hassle! But the probe is a very god long term control of bigger changes of the system (improper water change method).
    The best way to control salinity of your tank is and will be a good refractometer once in time depending on your ATO and water change procedures.
    Just my 2 cents
    Monty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1000L SPS dom., 4x Mitras LX 6100 HV, GHL ProfiLux 3ex, KH Director, Expansionbox, SMS-Modul, Dosing Unit 4, ATI Powercone 250i, Shuran Jetstream 1 CA reactor,......