Thread: UPS Battery Backup Suggestions? To keep Tunze running

Default UPS Battery Backup Suggestions? To keep Tunze running

I want to keep the Profilux powered up to be able to keep my tunze pumps running during a short to medium power outage.
    What size UPS should I be looking for just to keep the Profilux running?

Why not use Tunze Safety Connector 6105? It works with any 12-24V battery. The size is up to how long time you would like it to be able to run during a power outage. You can by a battary in any hardware store or online at conrad.com. I just bought one myself. The Safety Connector switch to the battary if the main power is disconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by swezoo View Post
    Why not use Tunze Safety Connector 6105? It works with any 12-24V battery. The size is up to how long time you would like it to be able to run during a power outage. You can by a battary in any hardware store or online at conrad.com. I just bought one myself. The Safety Connector switch to the battary if the main power is disconnected.
    Yes, i will have the safety connector to run the tunze.
    But here I'm talking about a battery backup for the PROFILUX.
    Without that, the Tunze safety connector won't be able to switch to the battery backup.

Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    I want to keep the Profilux powered up to be able to keep my tunze pumps running during a short to medium power outage.
    What size UPS should I be looking for just to keep the Profilux running?
    I think d2mini wants to run the profilux not just the tunze pumps.
    I would guess that you have 6105's and if so then to run both those and the profilux requires

One 6105 is either 22-24W or with the new 24V jumper 28-30W.
    One Profilux power supply is about 18W, but may use less (This is what the power supply is rated at)

If you use smallish UPS say 400VA (Maybe able to find smaller, but these are pretty cheap), would give you around 200 Watts usable power.
    Most of these run a small gel battery and would run around 20 minutes at full capacity to allow shut down of computers etc.
    But if you reduce the load on the UPS like 1 Profilux and 2 tunze pumps (90 Watts) this could increase to 40 minutes (Maybe more).

Some UPS you can put additional battery banks on (Like the rack mount unit I have), this will increase your run time after power cut but not your peak wattage availability.

(Opps Too slow as you replied already!)

Of course you can get a 1500VA unit and lightly load it to give yourself a really long period and add a battery bank or 2 to double or triple your on battery time.
    1500VA about 900W is 10 hours for 90 watt load, add addtional bank is 20 hours and maybe another is 30 hours, but only if it is loaded at 90 watts. Any increase up to the max of the UPS will decrease on battery time.

You also don't want to do this often as you can really damage the batteries using them so that they have less than 50% capacity.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Antipodes; 09.02.2015 at 00:06. Reason: Too slow
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

haha, thanks.

So if i'm running the 6105's on a separate battery (like a motorcycle battery) and running just the Profilux on a UPS, can I get more than 20 minutes out of a medium sized UPS?
    And I assume the Profilux needs continuous power to keep the signal going to the Tunze... or do I need just a few seconds to get the Tunze Safety Connector to realize there was a power loss and that it needs to switch over to battery backup?

You are going to need continuos supply to keep the Profilux powered.
    If all you are running is the Profilux (I have not measure exactly how much it uses, just read the powersupply rating) then that was 18 watts which on a 400VA unit would last maybe 3 hours. (using calculations)
    You would have to test to see what the real world on battery time would be?

By the way lots of other ways to do this also.
    Use a solar cell to charge a battery and run the profilux of the battery full time. (Use a car battery)
    I intend to do this and then use relay from the house supplied plug which (would disengage when power goes out). This is then read by the profilux as digital input and will get it to send me an alarm. (Telling me it is a power cut)
    Or instead of the solar cell, use a charger to charge the battery constanly (Need a good charger 3 speed charger for this).
    Of course the later would use a bit more power than a standard powersupply.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    haha, thanks.

So if i'm running the 6105's on a separate battery (like a motorcycle battery) and running just the Profilux on a UPS, can I get more than 20 minutes out of a medium sized UPS?
    And I assume the Profilux needs continuous power to keep the signal going to the Tunze... or do I need just a few seconds to get the Tunze Safety Connector to realize there was a power loss and that it needs to switch over to battery backup?
    Dennis

Why don't you just hook up the tunze BBU first and test it? Leave the Profilux plugged into mains power and then disconnect the tunze mains. The tune should still keep running, but now on the battery. Then unplug the Profilux to simulate a power cut and see if the tune keeps going? Then you'll know for sure if you need a UPS for the profilux.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggss View Post
    Dennis
    Why don't you just hook up the tunze BBU first and test it? Leave the Profilux plugged into mains power and then disconnect the tunze mains. The tune should still keep running, but now on the battery. Then unplug the Profilux to simulate a power cut and see if the tune keeps going? Then you'll know for sure if you need a UPS for the profilux.
    Yes, this was what i meant. The Tunze pump should run according to Profilux signal between 1-10V, if the Profilux is giving the Tunze pump 0V (power outage) the pump should be running on max but from the battery supply. You won't be able to run any waves etc, but the pump should still be running on max.

Ya I suppose I should. I haven't gotten anything yet (for the tunze or profilux), just doing the research on what I need.

But this is what Roger at Tunze had to say on the matter...

The Profilux has to backed up as well. The problem with non Tunze controllers is they only send a control signal to the unit and are powered by their own power supply, once the power to the controller is gone, that signal is gone and the pump is waiting for a signal. A Tunze controller is powered by the pump, so if the pump has power, the controller has power.