Thread: Rs232-Usb connectivity

Default Rs232-Usb connectivity

Well I've done this a few times but after not connecting for about a year, I can't figure out why I'm not connecting. To make it easier, I filmed this quick video, but I'm not sure why I can't connect. For what its worth, I've connected in the past with this same computer and set up. Should I just reinstall the drivers?

http://youtu.be/blSipVYaO4Y

Have at it 8)

Sometimes it happens that Windows 8 installs a wrong driver.
    You should uninstall the actual driver.
    Right click device -> uninstall driver -> check the checkbox in dialog -> OK.

Then you should install the driver from here: http://downloads.aquariumcomputer.co...php?fileID=175
    Maybe you need install it manualy.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Thanks Artur,

I know that this question has been asked 10000000 times, but in my case, this is different, as I know the process to connect and download and choosing the interface port. I've connected using USB-RS232 in the past, this this computer and the current driver. I will tell you step by step what I've done, un sucessfully.

I've uninstalled the drivers, and reinstalled these drivers, here: http://downloads.aquariumcomputer.co...php?fileID=175
    Open GHL control center
    Click on Profilux icon in the lower left, click connect
    Connection failed, would you like to change the settings Now
    Click Yes
    Click device manager
    Check the port and change the interface accordingly (port com 4, 5 etc) save
    Reclick connect and
    Connection fail error occurs

For redundancy, I went into the device manager and clicked on the driver and clicked on update driver. I received an UTD and working properly message. I'm using a trendnet converter

I am using the prolific USB connection.

I'm using a trendnet converter

I am using the prolific USB connection.
    If you use a third party converter you have to use the driver for that device, not the recommended one for the PL USB connection.
    And even if you do so, sometimes it will fail due the converter is incompatible. In that case you have to try another one.

Gunther is right, you have to install the driver from trendnet and not all converter are compatible.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

So the USB-RS232 converter manufactured by trendnet, when you refer to "third party", do you mean that profilux sells a converter? I've never seen it on the product page. If not, how are all the converters used not "third party"? If there is a converter, I'm going to have to buy it, as I've downloaded the drivers from the trendnet web site and I am having the same outcome. I've confirmed with their product support that it is the correct diver for the product. I'm beyond irritated considering that I've connected in the past with this hardware. I know that you guys deal with this problem more than you care to admit. I apologize for what is usually an easy fix, but it's just not happening. Let me know if there is anything more that you need in order to help me rectify this problem.

THanks again,
    Last edited by rreeves; 12.02.2015 at 03:02.

So the USB-RS232 converter manufactured by trendnet, when you refer to "third party", do you mean that profilux sells a converter?
    No. There are PLs with direct USB connectivity. For this devices the driver is made and useful.

I've never seen it on the product page. If not, how are all the converters used not "third party"?
    All converters are "third party". As said, the drivers are for GHL devices with direct USB connectivity

The problem with the converters is that a lot of them not fulfil the RS232-spec.
    In general it´s a prob of signal voltage. RS232 spec says 15V, but a lot of devices also work with 5V (which is cheaper to manufacture), so the converter work with 80% of devices - but not with all who need RS232.
    Last edited by Gunther; 12.02.2015 at 07:17.

I can check it via remote acces, if you wish you can send me a PM.