Thread: ProfiluxControl - No Connection

Default ProfiluxControl - No Connection

Hello,
    I hope members will forgive my poor attitude but I have been struggling with software for quite a while. The instructions in the user manual have to be the worst I have ever seen. If there is a wish list for Profilux upgrade, then at the top of the list must be
    1. Get better native English writers,
    2. Don't assume the user knows the product as well as the designers do.
    3. Stop assuming the user is a computer expert.

On boot up of my unit, the display shows: Profilux 3.1V ex and version 5.1.3
    The PC software is entitled: ProfiLuxControl 5.1.4.3
    Windows version is 8 (64 bit)

I have tried USB connection by first loading CDM20828_Setup.exe
    and then loading CDM20600_Installer.exe
    followed by loading PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v110

No clear information is easily available regarding what driver version is compatible with what box. As each of the three driver packages were loaded, an attempt was made to connect without success. I did not uninstall any of the drivers when loading the next package as I read a post from a moderator which stated that they should not conflict.

At some point I saw in Device Manager COM7 appear in "Ports (COM & LPT)", which had not been there before, so I assumed this was the goal. I do not recall which driver package resulted in the COM7 appearance.

Since USB connection failed I uninstalled the driver packages and then tried LAN. The green light on the router illuminated and two amber lights on the Profilux illuminated, however I could not see "Profilux..." appear when looking at the device list on the gateway summary page on the PC.

I then read another thread where it can be chosen to obtain auto IP address on the Profilux menu - again, none of that info is obvious in the programming manual.

After setting this "auto IP" on the box the "PROFILUX_3_01" label shows on the routers summary page.

I then reopened the ProfiluxControl software and tried to connect, this time selecting TCP/IP in the connection drop down menu. For 1 or 2 seconds, while the "scanning network for ProfiLux" box is running, there is a message in the "State" box which says "Connection to ProfilLux established successfully" but then the error box appears - "Could not connect".

In the "EDIT Connection" window "Host Name" shows <AUTO> but is gray and cannot be accessed.
    "Device address" shows "1" - but I have no idea how this relates to a LAN setting. "Port" shows 10001 but again I have no idea what this means. The Search Automatically checkbox is checked.
    Timeout is set to 1000ms

If I click the Configuration button another scan occurs but a similar message "Can't find ProfiLux with (W)LAN Card" occurs.

I have read dozens of "no connection" threads as well as "did you read this first?" threads. Yes, I have read them and they offer nothing that completely solves this problem.

I also have various connection cords but which do not seem useable. There is a cord with a female serial connector on one end and a USB on the other. The Profiliux has a female serial port and my PC has no serial interface.

Is there some other setting buried deep in the menu structure that I have overlooked and which is not mentioned in the manual? Any ideas how to resolve this?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Hello,

let's try to get a USB connection. Sometime Windows 8 installs the wrong driver from Windows Updates.
    First you should uninstall the driver:
    1. open the Windows device manager and look out for a device with the name "USB Serial Port" under COM & LPT
    2. right click the device and click Uninstall
    3. check the checkbox in the first dialog and click Ok.

Download, unzip and install the driver from here: https://aquariumcomputer.com/de-DE/g...ads?fileID=175
    Restart your computer and try to connect via USB.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Hi Artur,
    Thanks very much for responding.
    These are very strange drivers because the "USB Serial Port" under COM & LPT only appears in Device Manager when the USB cable is connected to the PC and the ProfiLux. When the cable is disconnected the port disappears. So in order to unistall the driver, the two must be connected.

In any case, I did as you instructed. After installing the package you linked to and connecting the ProfiLux, COM5 appeared in the COM & LPT section.

I then set the COM number in the Interface field to 5 and got an Error 28.
    I then set it back to "1" and still got Error 28.
    I then tried the "Scan COM..." button and got a series of Error 28 + "No device has been found at all COM ports!" message.

I thought this must be a problem with this computer so I followed the instruction on a second Win8x64 PC with the exact same results.

In the "System"->"Communication" menu on the ProfiLux there are three items, COM1, COM2 and LAN. Are there any specific settings for these items?

Cheers,

These are very strange drivers because the "USB Serial Port" under COM & LPT only appears in Device Manager when the USB cable is connected to the PC and the ProfiLux. When the cable is disconnected the port disappears. So in order to unistall the driver, the two must be connected.
    This is not strange, that is normal. Any hardware with USB connection akts like this.

In the "System"->"Communication" menu on the ProfiLux there are three items, COM1, COM2 and LAN. Are there any specific settings for these items?
    Make sure that the device address under "System"->"Communication"->"COM" have the same number as the device address in Edit Connection in ProfiLuxControl.

You have a PM.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.