Thread: Decision about doser

Default Decision about doser

Hi,

I have already a ProfiLux 3.1T eX Ultimate-Set
    For dosing should I buy a standalone system like the GHL DOSER 2 for redundancy?
    Or are there advantages having the doser connected to the profilux and I should buy the slave dosing pump?

Thanks in advance
    //Nuno Ferreira

That really is up to you, but most of us that have the profilux already, use the slave.
    Of course the slave is not available yet, so that may also make your choice for you.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

Hi Paul,

I have no experience, I started building my first reef tank last month.
    I just wanted to know if I am missing something not connecting the doser to the profilux.

Thanks

Ah OK!

I guess that both have the same abilities and now that the Doser 2 even though standalone, can be controlled from your computer, it is actually very good.

Pros for Stand alone
    Independent and will not shut down if profilux fails?
    Can be controlled from computer by software
    Has independent temp measurement if needed.
    Stirrer output (for things like Kalk)
    USB or WIFI connection
    Can control other slave dosers (Not sure how they connect with one another or if they can be controlled over wifi)

Negatives for Stand Alone
    If the profilux shuts down, (pumps off etc) then it will continue to dose product.
    Need to access another piece of software rather than all in one with the profilux.
    Have to connect another app to your devices and talk to two systems. ( This may change if you chose to use the GHL Cloud system)
    Does not send emails to your device if it alarms? ( Low fill level) (Actually not sure on this. GHL??)

There are probably more, (Others can chime in here) but it is a big investment and as you are just starting it is a cost you don't want to do twice!
    I honestly think that there is enough functionality in both systems to say that if you decide in one or the other you won't be disappointed.

Note sure when the Doser 2 slave is available? So at the moment it is a single choice for the Standalone. (A great piece of kit)

I myself use a slave doser and will probably continue to.

Hope that was some help and did not confuse you too much.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

Thanks Paul

I might go for the standalone solution for redundancy reasons