Thread: Universal Powerpar

Default Universal Powerpar

Asia imports electric goods from all over the world & I often need to use adaptors to connect to my current powerbars. Actually I bought a USA, EU & a UK powerbar two years ago but still need to use adaptors for some plugs.

What would be ideal - and very cost effective - would be an universal powerbar that will take all sockets. I have many extension leads at home that will take any plug, so surely it can be done with a powerbar too?
    If you're not living life on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

This has come up under another topic.
    But to put is simply, asia has pretty lax rules and they manufacture all types of power bars that are universally fitting.
    However in most developed countries, the power plug is stipulated by law and a bunch of associated standards and electical rules have to be met in each country that they define this.
    So effectively the asian style of multiadapter is not allowed to be imported or sold in many countries as they do not meet regulations.
    However clearyl even in our country there are many breaking the rules and selling illegal adapters and power bars. What this means for people purchasing and using these items, is if it is found these cause a fire, insurance will not cover the loss.
    For you unfortunately being in Phuket, you will need to purchase appropriate power bars from GHL for each different plug, or use adaptors.
    Not sure what voltage you have there, but in any event I don't know how you can use UK and USA power items on the same supply as the voltage and frequency is quite different. (Unless you plug your power bar into a transformer I guess?)
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

Thanks Antipodes, a great explanation.

My USA powerbar is still unused. I bought it thinking it might be useful later on but was mistaken - so far.

Can you see any reason why I cannot replace the plug of an appliance with either UK or EU style so that it can be used without an adapter?
    If you're not living life on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

If item being powered is the same voltage and frequency as the power supplied, then yes, this can be done.
    In fact this is what I do here in NZ. Of course legally each country has rules about who can change plugs and do electrical work.

Some units the plug is part of the unit like some power supplies, so that you can't change it in that instance.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!