Thread: UPS backup system for my Profilux

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default UPS backup system for my Profilux

Dear GHL Support

I have a Profilux 3.1N and powerbar PAB running my aquarium/doser/pumps/heaters etc.

Where I live in the UK, we suffer from a number of power cuts each year, typically lasting 3 to 5 hours where the house has no electricity.

I want to better protect my aquarium/livestock using a UPS - the Profilux/power bars will be plugged into the UPS. However, when there is a power cut, I need to be able to close down all but essential equipment (ie leave just the Profilux and pump running) so that I get the maximum life out of the UPS and not try and run everything.

I therefore need to tell the Profilux that there is a power cut and then program it to turn off lights, wave pumps, skimmer, heaters etc and just run the main water pump.

I have a relay with mains electricity on one side - when the power fails, the switch on the other side of the relay will close - I need the Profilux to register this change (ie switch closing) and then go through the process of closing down the non essential equipment.

Looking at your expansion boards, I think that the PLM_ADIN will do the job - but need your advice. I can't find any specification as to what inputs this board actually needs apart from "2 analog inputs 0 V-10 V, 4 digital inputs, all galvanically insulated". I am also struggling to be sure what a Western plug is - is this the same as a CAT5 or RJ45 connector?

I would appreciate any advice that you can provide.

Ian

I can't find any specification as to what inputs this board actually needs apart from "2 analog inputs 0 V-10 V, 4 digital inputs, all galvanically insulated".
    Last lines of the manual describes what to do:

Analog inputs: input resistance ca. 20 kOhm, voltage range 0 V to 10 V
    Here you have to connect an active 0-10V signal or a potentiomete.
    Active signal 6+8 or 7+8 where 8 is ground
    Potentiometer (I think 22kOhm is. o.k.) between 1+8 and the middle pin to 6 or 7

Digital input: input resistance ca. 100 kOhm, is to be switched to ground (GND)
    Here you have to connect a switch or relay between 2/3/4/5 and 8

Auxiliary voltage 10 V: can be loaded with max. 10 mA
    This is useful for potentiometers as described above.

I am also struggling to be sure what a Western plug is - is this the same as a CAT5 or RJ45 connector?
    It´s a RJ45 connector (CAT5 is a cable spec, not a connector) - an adapter to male SUB-D9 is included

Hi Gunther

Thanks for the quick reply and detail. By the manual, I am assuming that you are referring to the manual that comes with the PLM-ADIN rather than one I can download from the website?

One other problem - I ordered the PLM-ADIN from the supplier in the UK three weeks ago - the delivery has just arrived but it contains a PLM-2L4S rather than the PLM-ADIN - they have just told me that they will be calling you to sort out why they got the wrong one - I don't know where the problem arose, but if you could help sort this out it would be appreciated because I don't really want to wait another 3 weeks for the part.

kind regards

Ian

The manual can be found at http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/...ad.php?did=237

but if you could help sort this out
    Sorry, but I´m a forum moderator, not GHL staff ...

You may contact GHL directly via Mail to speed this up.