Thread: PDF downloads look like html programming language?

Default PDF downloads look like html programming language?

Hello GHL staffers,

When I download a pdf manual from your download site it goes to my downloads section. But I notice it has the extension .html on the end of it. When I try to open the file it just looks like a jargon of symbols & letters. If I use adobe acrobat to open the file it looks good.

I am using a Macbook pro running osx 10.9.5. I can download pdf files from other sources and they work fine. It's only your site giving me the weird files.

Here is a test site with pdf files downloaded.

Here are your files from your site, note the file extension.

Here is what your file looks like when I open it.

Any idea if it something on my side or on yours?

Thanks,
    Scott

In fact, the downloaded files are PDFs (visible by the %PDF-1.5)

Looks like your system mishandles active content. There is a difference between static PDF files and the way PDFs are handled from the GHL server.

For me downloads are working o.k. You may try another browser.

It used to work just fine. Even since your system went to the new style it had worked. I downloaded 1.0.5.9 without issue a couple weeks back. Seems weird it would work and then not work when I have changed nothing on my end. I will try a different browser.

Hello,

this is a problem with your browser.
    We will check this problem as fast as possible.
    Meanwhile you can try another browser like Chrome or Firefox.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

The problem is the aplle.
    Solve it by downloading the document to your screen an renaming the extension from .html to .pdf.

I used google chrome browser instead of safari and it worked just fine this time

Sorry but the issue here is not the Apple or Safari.
    It has nothing to do with PDF's, rather it is related to all file format's downloaded from the main website download location.

The same function within the download page within the forum does not exhibit this issue.
    See the attached screenshot for files downloaded on the same machine, same browser.

Files with html extension were downloaded from https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/en-GB/ghldownloads
    Files with appropriate extensions were downloaded from http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads.php
    note: OS X will automatically expand the zip file if it is considered safe, hence the exe's etc (Safari->Preferences->General -> Uncheck "Open Safe Files After Downloading" allows you to disable this if required)

I expect that the main website location is not setting a mime type for the file download (or something similar).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CaptCrash; 22.12.2014 at 08:04.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    Sorry but the issue here is not the Apple or Safari.
    It has nothing to do with PDF's, rather it is related to all file format's downloaded from the main website download location.

The same function within the download page within the forum does not exhibit this issue.
    See the attached screenshot for files downloaded on the same machine, same browser.

Files with html extension were downloaded from https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/en-GB/ghldownloads
    Files with appropriate extensions were downloaded from http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads.php
    I can confirm this also
    Using Windows 7/8/8.1 64bit with Firefox/Opera/IE

Incorrect file type from https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/en-GB/ghldownloads
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

We will check and fix it as fast as possible.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.