Thread: GHL - Web Software for Mac

Default GHL - Web Software for Mac

Hi All, I have finally decided to take the plunge and buy a second hand Profilux 3 es with loads of extras and the reason I have held off on my purchase is that I am a MAC user, and didnt want to have to purchase Parallels and Windows to configure these products as I've had a bad expeince with the Mitras for this reason. My local FS ensured me I could use my Mac and iPad to control both the Profilux and my Mitars via a Web version of the software. I have attached the Profilux to the Lan and then synced it to my iPad but it needs a firmware update as it's running a 6.0.1. Can I provide a firmware update via a web based software from my Mac or am I now back to the fact these products won't work out side of a windows device. I have scouted the downloads section and can't find the Web based software or the firmware thats not Zipped for Windows.

Please can you help me get a fix to this problem

The software to manage the Profilux is Windows only.
    The web interface and iPad app are for monitoring and entering some manual settings (e.g. manual lighting control, socket control etc).
    No configuration changes are avaliable from the Apps or Web interfaces as far as I am aware.

To perform maintenance (change the configuration) of the device you need a Windows environment or need to do it via the front panel.
    To perform a firmware upgrade you need a Windows environment.

I currently use Windows under Vmware Fusion on my Mac Book Pro. From there I can manage the Profilux, do firmware upgrades etc (I don't have the ability to manage the Mitras but I have not tried very hard to make this work).

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    I currently use Windows under Vmware Fusion on my Mac Book Pro. From there I can manage the Profilux, do firmware upgrades etc (I don't have the ability to manage the Mitras but I have not tried very hard to make this work).
    Hi: I have tried Parallels 10 with Windows 8 in a Mac Book Pro and the USB connection is not recognized. Which version of Windows do you use with Vmware Fusion? Do you also need any of the Profilux USB drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by chema61 View Post
    Hi: I have tried Parallels 10 with Windows 8 in a Mac Book Pro and the USB connection is not recognized. Which version of Windows do you use with Vmware Fusion? Do you also need any of the Profilux USB drivers?
    I use Windows 8.1 Pro under VMware Fusion 7.0.0 (previously Fusion 6.x). For OS's, it was OS X Mavericks and now Yosemite.

I did have to enable the USB passthrough to the guest via the virtual machine -> USB and Bluetooth menu.
    Once this was done, windows was able to identify the USB device. I don't remember if I had to manually install the driver or if it was just discovered.

I use Windows 8.1 Pro under VMware Fusion 7.0.0 (previously Fusion 6.x). For OS's, it was OS X Mavericks and now Yosemite.

I did have to enable the USB passthrough to the guest via the virtual machine -> USB and Bluetooth menu.
    Once this was done, windows was able to identify the USB device. I don't remember if I had to manually install the driver or if it was just discovered.
    Thanks a lot CaptCrash. I'll try something similar in Parallels 10. I'm trying a demo version so I haven't made a decision whether to buy Parallels or VMFusion but I'm glad to know that the connection works with a virtual machine. I used to run the Profilux program with a Windows 7 version in Boot Camp.

By the way, and off of this topic, are you happy with Yosemite? I'm still a Lion user and I'm not sure whether it is worth to move to Yosemite or not. The Office 11 programs do run fine in Yosemite?

Quote Originally Posted by chema61 View Post
    Thanks a lot CaptCrash. I'll try something similar in Parallels 10. I'm trying a demo version so I haven't made a decision whether to buy Parallels or VMFusion but I'm glad to know that the connection works with a virtual machine. I used to run the Profilux program with a Windows 7 version in Boot Camp.

By the way, and off of this topic, are you happy with Yosemite? I'm still a Lion user and I'm not sure whether it is worth to move to Yosemite or not. The Office 11 programs do run fine in Yosemite?
    Im happy enough with Yosemite, the interface is a little "design happy" for my liking, but Im getting used to it.
    I run Office for Mac 2011 (version 14.x ???) and it seems fine.

The MacBook Pro is my work machine and I manage server infrastructure (mostly windows 2008/2003 servers, vmware, switches/routers etc), so mostly document creation, web browsing, telnet and RDP client. So far I haven't found any issues. I have an older Mac Mini at home that is my media machine. It required some software reinstalls but thats about it.

I would make the decision based on how old your Mac is.

In my case its the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and the performance is excellent. My Mac Mini at home (late 2012/early 2013) is really good the performance is inline with what it was like under Lion.
    If the hardware is older I would probably look for comments of people who have done so on your exact hardware (or similar spec'ed).

I would make the decision based on how old your Mac is.

In my case its the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and the performance is excellent. My Mac Mini at home (late 2012/early 2013) is really good the performance is inline with what it was like under Lion.
    If the hardware is older I would probably look for comments of people who have done so on your exact hardware (or similar spec'ed).
    That'a a wise consideration. I have an old Mac Book Pro (2,4 Gz Core i5, 8 Mb RAM). I don't remember exactly the year I bought it, I think around 4 years ago. Maverick and Yosemite seem to be very good for the interaction of all Mac devices. I don't have an iPad but I do have an iPhone and would like to see a better way to sync and exchange files than what I can do now.

I have a late 2008 MBP. Upgraded RAM & HD but factory processor. It runs Parallels 10 (windows XP) and OSX Yosemite with no major issues. Word of warning with virtual machines and connecting to the Mitras, it usually doesn't work. The Profilux wasn't hard to get hooked up but the lights are a nightmare. GHL said they have been working on it and it's supposed to be fixed in one of the new software versions. Not sure if they have complete it yet though.

The new my GHL should make things easier, but I will wait and see one that one.