Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GCC for Mac

Default GCC for Mac

Hi GHL

Loving all the new updates...

Any chance we will see GCC available on the mac or the web server in the near future or do I need to suffer the insufferable Windows 8 ?

Robert
    If you're not living life on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

I would pay $$$$ for this to happen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doggydoc10 View Post
    I would pay $$$$ for this to happen!!!
    +1 would really like to see a web replacement for GCC. Would be happy to purchase hardware i.e. a Web Server card with additional storage option to make this happen if GHL were to produce such a product.

When you guys say web server, do you mean like EcoSmart Live for programming Radions?
    If so, I say helllllllllll no!
    When I had my Radions I hated being at the mercy of connecting to their servers in order to change programming.

Now a mac version I would LOVE! Even if that meant it didn't get updated as fast as the PC version.
    Running Parallels has always been a bit quirky.

But I think GHL would probably have to hire a whole new department of programmers to get that to happen.

Windows tablets are so cheap now. You can permanently mount one on your tank as a touch.

Don't see any point in programming for Mac, with all the new apps and web support..
    Cost of supporting dual environments would be in excess of return.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    When you guys say web server, do you mean like EcoSmart Live for programming Radions?
    If so, I say helllllllllll no!
    When I had my Radions I hated being at the mercy of connecting to their servers in order to change programming.
    No I don't mean a cloud offering or web service provided by GHL.
    I mean an enhancement of the web interface to provide the same features as the current GCC (note: additional hardware may be required to host a more complex web console).

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
    Windows tablets are so cheap now. You can permanently mount one on your tank as a touch.

Don't see any point in programming for Mac, with all the new apps and web support..
    Cost of supporting dual environments would be in excess of return.
    Code in C or C++ and it's just a matter of interface design/tweaking.
    I still don't understand the rationale for not having this.
    Also having used AI's Director and web software I say no thanks to web controls.

Code in C or C++ and it's just a matter of interface design/tweaking.
    if it was that easy we would have done it

but Mac has its own language Objective C and Cocoa Touch, now even another language coming with then next OS

-> the Mac software has to be developed from scratch up, re-use of code is nearly impossible
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    if it was that easy we would have done it

but Mac has its own language Objective C and Cocoa Touch, now even another language coming with then next OS

-> the Mac software has to be developed from scratch up, re-use of code is nearly impossible
    Objective C is a branch of C. Any C programmer can be up and running in a day. Swift will make it even easier as it can use C, Java, C++ and Objective C in the same environment. Cocoa touch is for mobile development.

The only reason you would have to re-program from the ground up is if you locked yourself into something like Visual Basic. If you are coding in Visual Studio you can re-use code from that.

Seriously as a programmer I don't understand the objections. The pay off would easily justify the effort.

So I got to see the new web software and I was very impressed. I don't know if it requires a server connection or live internet connection but it looks really good!