Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAB Firmware Upgrades

Default PAB Firmware Upgrades

I would like to suggest that a process be developed to perform PAB firmware upgrades with all of the PAB devices left connected and in place.
    If this process could be simplified by taking the physical alteration of cables/components out of the process, I think it would be a great improvement to the Profilux range.
    Ideally I would like to see all firmware updates to take place via the LAN/Web interface.

Background
    I use my P3Ex systems to control my reef tank and breeding setup.

The breeding system is a P3Ex with 5 x power bars, two expansion box's, touch and DIY dimmable LED's. This controls 54 tanks in four seperate systems.
    The reef tank system is a P3Ex with 3 x power bars, an expansion box, touch, 2 x PropellerBreeze and 4 x Mitras 6100HV. This controls my reef tank and snake cage.
    In each case, the power bars, expansion boxes etc are located near the equipment they control mostly in inaccessible locations with approx 40m of distance between them and several walls/rooms.

To perform firmware updates, it involves disconnecting cables and running a temporary cable across the house and/or shed.
    As part of this there is the potential for damage to cables and/or the PAB device.

By removing the re-cable component, it would allow customers to keep the firmware of their equipment up to date and at the current level simplifying the support requirements for GHL.
    GHL could in the future, further automate the update process by downloading stable firmware automatically to GCC and applying firmware updates on request at the next connection to the controller.

Im looking to bring all of my equipment up to date this week end, and it will be a significant part of the day to get each of the devices updated and then calibrate the various probes.
    It would be great if this process could be simplified and have the time/manual tasks reduced.

thanks

+ 1

+2

+3
    If you're not living life on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

+4

x5 However, I suggested firmware updates by LAN and was told that wasn't going to happen. GHL likes the serial adapter with the virtual COM ports and considers them to be more reliable. With that said we live in a dynamic world and things do change. Would be nice. I have nothing near the system of the OP, every firmware update for the Profilux I disconnect everything, update with the serial to USB adapter and use the flash tool on the same USB on my computer every time. Since I started that, no problems, before updating firmware was a chore and frustrating.
    Perry
    A screen shot is worth a thousand words...

Profilux 3.1N eX, 3 PAB 6D, Slave Doser, PLM-ADIN, Vortech Controller, PLM-PWC, Leak detector, 2 LX 6100HV Mitras
    Controlling a 150 DSA Peninsula mixed reef.

+5

+6

Bringing this from the dead. Any chance this can be seen in the near future?

Always at Sea

It would be great if GHL can add a comment to this thread.

eg. is this something that they GHL is looking to implement or not at all?
    Stay up to date with my efforts at Blue Tang Breeding here http://facebook.com/RegalTangBreeding and Mccullochi Clownfish Breeding here https://www.facebook.com/MccullochiClownfishBreeding