Thread: App Not Working Through VPN

Default App Not Working Through VPN

Hello Everyone,

I've been away for a while and getting back into things.. Glad to see there is an app to access Profilux!

I had great success getting the app to access my Profilux 'locally'. By locally, I mean smartphone is connected wirelessly to the same network as the Profilux. Great!
    However, when I am not at home, I utilize a VPN (Cisco ASA) to gain access to my home network. While connected via the VPN, I launch the 'App for Profilux' and it displays 'receiving data from device', after several seconds it errors out and never does display the Profilux data. I'm thinking that the VPN is possibly causing a larger network delay and this is causing the App to error out... Am I correct ?

I know folks usually simply have a firewall/router and perform some flavor of 'port forwarding' to hide the their internal network devices, but my system is not setup that.

Again - Really like that we now have an App for the Profilux, just frusturated I can not get it to worked under my environment.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bump....

Any suggestions ?

The VPN configuration piece makes it difficult to troubleshoot here. I know I'm stating the obvious here but to me is sounds like its a routing issue of some some as you said that you can connect locally on your home network.

Here are a couple of things I would try to start off with:
    While VPN connected from iphone/ipad, can you connect to the Web interface of your Profilux through Safari browser?
    Can you VPN into your network from a PC and through that see if you can ping the IP address of your Profilux?

Maybe others can chime in here when you let us know these results.
    Jason

Are you connecting to the IP of PL or to the hostname ?
    If you are using the name it is very likely the DNS resolving which may not work properly.

Stephan

Default VPN Based Access still not working...

I am attempting to connect to the Profilux using its IP address and this is when I'm connected via VPN to my home network.

Question - On the GCC, there is a setting under System/LAN/External Web Access. There is a field here "IP or Domain Name from which one will be accessing the Proflux. Is it required that anything be entered here? Can a range of IP addresses be used in this field? If so, then I could enter the range of IP addresses that my VPN server uses to assign to external users. Once a value is placed here, does it take place immediately or must the Profilux be rebooted?

I think you need a port forwarding for the GHL Control Center port 10001.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

But I'm trying to use the Android Cellphone app, not GHL GCC. The phone app works fine when I'm on my home network, but not via vpn

The app uses the port 80, so maybe you need to portforward the port 80
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.