Thread: Doser Overdosed Calcium!

Default Doser Overdosed Calcium!

I have the 3 pump doser controlled via the Profilux 3ex.
    My calcium levels went from the low 400's to the high 900's over the course of a few days!
    I had just mixed up a new batch of both calcium and alkalinity solutions. Both containers were at the same level. Now the calcium is more than half gone and the alk is barely gone by one quarter.
    My timer for calcium is set to dose HALF of what the Alk was set to dose. How could it have dosed so much calcium???

The only other thing I noticed is the flow rate of the pumps is set to a different number for each of my pumps. No idea how that changed???
    Alk is at 90ml/min, Calc is at 20ml/min and Mag is at 60ml/min.
    I thought the default was 60 and even if this is controlling how much much is being dosed, the calc is set so much lower than the alk!

Any ideas? For now I set the calcium pump to Always Off.

Sounds like you not have calibrated the pump flow rate. So asuming all pumps are nearly equal, a calibration value of 20 vs. 90 will bring you 4.5x flow time for the first fluid.

So first thing would be to(re)calibrate the pumps.

Thanks for the reply Gunther.

1) I would have thought it would be the opposite??? Wouldn't 20ml/min be dosing 4.5x LESS than 90ml/min?

2) I have no idea how these flow rate numbers in profilux control changed. Can they change on their own as the actual flow rate of the pump changes?

Wouldn't 20ml/min be dosing 4.5x LESS than 90ml/min?
    No. If the calibration is 20ml/min, the doser has to run 3 min if you try to dose 60ml, if calibration is 90ml/min, it only runs 40 seconds. If caibration is o.k., dosing is right but if calibration is to low, the doser runs longer as needed -> more fluid comes out.

Can they change on their own as the actual flow rate of the pump changes?
    Normally not. Have you performed an update or was there a power outtake/glitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    No. If the calibration is 20ml/min, the doser has to run 3 min if you try to dose 60ml, if calibration is 90ml/min, it only runs 40 seconds. If caibration is o.k., dosing is right but if calibration is to low, the doser runs longer as needed -> more fluid comes out.
    Ahhhh… that makes sense. Couldn't wrap my head around that. Thanks for the explanation. This is definitely what caused the overdose then. Will calibrate and adjust tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Normally not. Have you performed an update or was there a power outtake/glitch?
    Not sure. Could have had a power outage. Did a firmware update a few weeks back. I also had my laptop in the shop for a few days and had to make a change to my alk dosing and did it through the profilux directly. Maybe something happened there. I actually meant to ask this… when making changes through the profilux computer, will it update the profilux control software the next time I open it?

Thanks!

ok, i calibrated each pump and it seems that they all were pretty close to each other but far from what they were set at.
    38, 40 and 42 ml per minute.

This calibration values look much better as the ones before. Maybe you (or anyone else) had put in the wished values instead of the calibration values by mistake.

Also a possible reason is a firmware update of the profilux. Especially in between 5.x and 6.x it was necessary to save and restore the settings.

Thanks for the help! Should be smooth sailing now.