Thread: Salinity Sensor Problem?

Default Salinity Sensor Problem?

I have two salinity sensors, one before buying, the sensor housing is transparent, and recently bought an appearance have changed. When I bought this new salinity sensors, found Salinity values ​​continue to decline, is still the case after recalibration, eventually it could no longer detect the correct value of salinity. One of my friends also encountered the same situation, but also recently bought salinity sensors. Are these products a problem?

2 weeks ago calibrated
    ADC1 65
    ADC2 245

Now
    ADC1 90
    ADC2 95

照片.JPG
    The Old Sensor

QNFCKJY)W4PIZS5QPJ[LY]E.jpg
    The New Sensor
    Last edited by Tobbyyang; 19.10.2013 at 11:50.

Is the system they are used on freshwater or Marine?
    The first image looks like it still has the protector on it, which should be removed before use!
    This also appears to be a platinum probe which generally does not have any issues. (I use this myself with no issues over 4 years now)

The second probe looks like a carbon probe which is generally only recommended for fresh water aquariums.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

Dear Paul,

These sensors are used in the marine environment, not in the freshwater environment.

I bought two sensors of the same type(PL-0055), so I think they should be the same, although different shell. I have normal use of a sensor that only transparent shell about three months, normal. It is not transparent shell protective cover, which I'm sure. But the point is, I only buy a new sensor there is a problem, and not only that I encountered such a problem, so I think it is this group of products is defective.

照片副本.JPG
    Damaged sensor packaging

屏幕快照 2013-10-19 下午12.53.29.jpg
    Transparent shell sensor ADC value (which is good)

屏幕快照 2013-10-20 下午9.18.09.jpg
    Damaged sensor ADC value

Thank you for your replay, and have a nice day.

Tobby
    Last edited by Tobbyyang; 20.10.2013 at 14:36.

I'm dealing with a similar problem here, for the last two days.

As I had a previous experience of this kind short time after buying my ProfiLux and I managed to solve it by increasing the water flow in the sensors area (I placed a small powerhead to blow against the tips of the probes), I'd suggest you to check if the flow is fast enough around your conductivity probe.

A second thing to check, as Antipodes underlined above, is the cleanliness of the active part of the probe (the two tiny square black plates facing one another on the inner facets of the "horns" on the tip of the probe). I just did so with my probe and to my suprise I discovered a tiny glass-snail found wise to place himself on one of the mentioned plates. I dipped the probe in pepsine (special solution for aquarium probes) and now in undiluted vinegar (that's 9% here) and the snail is almost completely gone. Anyway, even if nothing is visibly attached to the plates, a pepsine dip followed by an extremely gentle rubbing (with a paper napkin) is still useful, in my opinion.

That's my $0.02, I hope it helps!

Dear Leontet,

Thank you for sharing of experiences. Before I also suspect that there are attachments to the electrode surface, a simple cleaning, but there was no improvement. I have already sent back to the sensor agents. I just want to provide some information to the GHL.

Thanks again for your help.

Tobby

Are these products a problem?
    No, there is no general problem with these probes.
    If you want to claim for warranty, please contact your retailer.

Please read our probe guarantee conditions:
    http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Syst...cessories.html
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.