Thread: pH Probe Calibration in Saltwater

Default pH Probe Calibration in Saltwater

Hello everyone!I'm kind of new to this aquarium computer and would like to ask your guidance as to what I did was correct.Tried to calibrate my pH probe and the value at first was 4.00 pH buffering ,then,7.00 pH buffering,my question is that are the values correct for saltwater?Being 4 is acidic and 7 is neutral water pH.Thanks for unconfusing me.

Usually use PH 7 & 9 calibration fluid for salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by reeferqq View Post
    Usually use PH 7 & 9 calibration fluid for salt water.
    ....or 7 and 10 w/c is readily available here in Ontario,Canada for Saltwater though just read that the default was 4 and 7.My reading is quite on the dot but was only wondering as the 4/7 is for Freshwater,hhhuummm and I just followed the default calibration.
    Last edited by Flameangel; 23.09.2013 at 00:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Flameangel View Post
    ....or 7 and 10 w/c is readily available here in Ontario,Canada for Saltwater though just read that the default was 4 and 7.My reading is quite on the dot but was only wondering as the 4/7 is for Freshwater,hhhuummm and I just followed the default calibration.
    You are right, that is the default.
    But remember these units are used for both Marine and freshwater systems.

Personally we also have 7 and 10 buffer readily available here in NZ also, and that is what I have used myself for the last 4 years I have had the 3Ex.
    Works perfectly well and the unit allows you to enter the buffer values you are calibrated to.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

Forgive my ignorance into calibrating pH probe as this is the 2nd controller I have calibrated coz the US made Aquadyne Octopus ask you FIRSTLY if you are using the controller for Salt or Freshwater then the calibration follows.It's always already 7 and 10 if you chooses Saltwater and 4/7,for Freshwater as defaults.Thx guys for all your responses.Now I got it clearer.Perhaps it's not mentioned in the user manual that the default pH 4/7 buffer handles both Fresh and Saltwater......got a lot to learn 'bout this mini-aqua. computer.