Thread: UK version

Default UK version

Cam you run the UK version om 220v?

The UK is 220V

Thanks, I thought the power grid in the uk was 240

Quote Originally Posted by Rudimenta View Post
    Thanks, I thought the power grid in the uk was 240
    Actually the standard for supply in the UK is 230 volt 50HZ

The power supply on the profilux is a switchmode item and it should be able to run on 220 volt OK. If you are talking about going to the states, remember they also have a different phase frequency. 50 HZ for UK and 60 HZ for USA.
    You can replace this cheaply enough for a different voltage. (ie 120) if you want to run it US side.
    For the power bars, I would get the correct powerbar for the region. I guess the UK one would work in the states, but if you are trying to run UK pumps and motors on US 220V, I would not attempt this as the frequency will not be suitable for the motor and it will most probably fail and draw excess current and produce excess heat.
    By getting the correct power bar for the region, it makes sure you plug in the correct appliances that will run in that region and make you think about if that particular item will or can be converted easily.
    Heaters and switchmode powersupplies can easily handle the different frequency, so they are not a problem.

OK I see you are in Afganistan currently and possibly returning home??
    The site I linked above show Afganistan with a nominal voltage of 240, but with a voltage variance of 160 to 280 as acceptable, if the items you have can run with that variation, then I don't think you are going to have any problems.
    Last edited by Antipodes; 05.08.2013 at 22:41. Reason: Aditional info

No lol I am in Vietnam, but the closest dealer is in Hong Kong he sells the UK version, hence...

So it should be fine, may have to change to cable or work with adapters because of the plugs.

Any worries I should have because of the 3pin, there is no grounding in Vietnam (no joke) ?

Cheers

You will need to ground the power supply!
    Early versions of the power supply were not grounded and the computers had issues with the probes not reading correctly and fluctuating wildly.

I have to ask why your profile is set to Afghanistan?

I never set my profile to any country I suspect it selected the first country on the list..

Well that's going to be an issue as there is literally no grounding I'm my (5 year old) "modern" apt complex, and that's normal for Vietnam.. I have in my 8 years here never seen a real grounded socket.

Any ideas?

GHL I hope may respond with a option!!

But if nothing else, then try it and see if you have the probe issues, if you do, maybe run a wire to ground yourself if possible.
    Not sure on your plumbing, but maybe steel or copper and maybe earthed in the basement, you could ground to a pipe.
    Would NOT ground to the exterior of the building though, lighting could be very hazardous to the profilux

If you are on the ground floor, then run a wire outside on to a earthspike, which you can drive yourself!
    Of course to get it wired in to the plug safely might be an issue.

Thx for your input!

Actually I thought of doing it that way, will get an electrician to sort it out. Want to get a separate power group for the tank anyway.

Cool, good luck.