Thread: Dimmable powerbar for variable speed return pumps?

Default Dimmable powerbar for variable speed return pumps?

Has anyone tested the dimmable powerbar on AC return pumps to see if pump rate can be controlled? I might just have to order one to find out, but was curious if anyone has tried it ...

Also, are the two sockets on the dimmable powerbar independently controllable/dimmable?

i am curious on this one also...

Quote Originally Posted by dipan View Post
    Has anyone tested the dimmable powerbar on AC return pumps to see if pump rate can be controlled? I might just have to order one to find out, but was curious if anyone has tried it ...
    this depends on the motor type of the pump (usually the manufacturer should be able to tell you if it will work or not) - maybe someone here can share his experience with dimming of a pump?

Quote Originally Posted by dipan View Post
    Also, are the two sockets on the dimmable powerbar independently controllable/dimmable?
    yes

Thanks Matthias ... I'm not sure the manufacturers of the common pumps like Reeflo's will be willing to say that it will work. I'm just curious if there is any firsthand experience ...

I've tried several pumps, but the dimming process fails: Sicce, Aqua Bee. I've alse tried non variable Tunze pumps (like 6045).
    It depends on the engine of the pump.
    For example (what I've tried) it works on:
    • Fans
    • Ozonisators
    • Nearly everything it works at 12-24V
    GHL Iberia

When you say works on 12-24v do you mean items that work on 12-24v DC i.e through an AC to DC voltage converter?

For example GHL fan breeze?

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

Yes they work on GHL Propellerbreeze, but for that you have the PropellerControl
    GHL Iberia

I was using the GHL fan as a basic example of a AC/DC 12v devise that could be controlled.

So it sounds like devises that run through DC converters will work, this means all sorts of new devises could be controlled. I will do some testing in the next month so everything is clear and then let the dealers I supply know.
    Last edited by aqua_digital; 16.08.2009 at 17:50.

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

switching voltage regulators, like most AC/DC-converters, can not be dimmed with a dimmer (here: the dimmable powerbar) - in the worst case the converter will be destroyed!

you can dim standard (conventional) transformators (with coils) or electronic transformators which are allowed to be dimmed (this is mentioned in the manual or printed on the device)!