Thread: How to - Set Up Email (Outlook)

Daumen hoch How to - Set Up Email (Outlook)

So here it is, a set up guide for email based on Microsoft Outloook, however I don't see any reasons why this would not transfer across to other email clients. I will make notes of what I feel could be the snags as I write.

1. Port - This should match your outgoing mail server port for example Port 25 (your port is found in your Outlook email settings - More settings - Advanced

2. Domain mail server - this is your SMTP OUTGOING MAIL SERVER, not your incoming, so for example in my system I have an incoming mail server from my host and my outgoing is through Rogers.com so as you are sending mail it goes through your outgoing.

3. email address - this is the email address of your account

4. Authentication - In the advanced tab in outlook set up you can see if your outgoing account needs authentication, typically it does.

5. username and password - This again is the username and password set for your outgoing server, enter accordingly.

Once done press save

Now you can enter your first email notification, try this -

To - Your email address
    Subject - Current active values of probes

in the text field copy this code
    $$REPS[4][00]$$
    $$SENC[x]$$
    $$REPE$$

If you have less than 4 sensor set REPS value to the number you have.

set mailing conditions to always and cyclic

set interval to 1 hour (as a test)

press save

Press save to upload settings to profiLux

Highlight the new email line you have just made

Press test.

Give it a few minutes the first time you set this up your outgoing server may take a while to respond, it does get fast after about an hour. This could be dependent on your outgoing server supplier.

You should get an email with your sensor values if you set everything up as above. Please check your junk folder also.

My settings are based on Outlook 2010 and my outgoing mail server being rogers.com settings will vary depending on your outgoing server and version of Outlook.

As for websmail such as gmail and others, providing you have the outgoing server details in full including the port I do not see the issue where it will not work, however I have not tried so can not offer support on set up for webmail at this time
    Last edited by aqua_digital; 26.03.2013 at 12:43.

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

One snag i came across today was that the outgoing server saw the profiLux as a spammer and blocked our account, this of course is determined by the ISP. I will need to register the username with the ISP so it recognizes it.

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

Michael, Does this type of setup require both Profilux Control and Outlook to be open at all times?

Am I wrong in assuming the Profilux does not support encryption SMTP connections?

If this is so it will make it close to useless implementation as most SMTP now are not only authenticated but also encrypted for SPAM reasons.

Generally using an unencrypted SMTP will have it blocked on the receiving part as aqua_digital found out.

Well,

the used embedded microcontrollers have insufficient runtime memory, in order to handle the certificates and send over SSL/TLS.
    This is why we offer 'Send encrypted via GHL Server' and tunneling the mails coming from a ProfiLux encrypted and
    proxy it to the final destination over a SSL/TLS connection to the SMTP-server.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Thank you MatthiasF.
    I am new here and am discovering that there is a lot more than the manuals in these forums, so will explore more.

The post in Profilux 4 forum
    Mail provider settings/setup for mail sending with ProfiLux 4
    and particularly the answer by premiero (2fa is 2 step authentication):

https://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/s...ith-ProfiLux-4

There is a better, secure way to allow P4 to send email via gmail.

1. First of all, go to https://myaccount.google.com/security and activate 2fa on google account.
    2. Next, go to https://myaccount.google.com/apppass...utm_medium=web and create APP Password. I attach printscreen with a step by step guide.

Click image for larger version. Name: P4 email 2.jpg Views: 23 Size: 85.7 KB ID: 11513

So first you have to open drop down menu and pick "other app". Next enter app name (I typed Profilux 4) and click "generate". Google will create 16 letter password - copy and paste it to profilux 4 password field. Than click done.

After this you can put your credentials in P4 like below:

Click image for larger version. Name: P4 email.png Views: 21 Size: 12.4 KB ID: 11514