Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profilux 3 all dark

Default Profilux 3 all dark

Hi. I tried to update the firmware to 5.15 yesterday via usb but it failed and now the profilux is all dark. I've read in the forum that i now have to flash the profilux via the rs232 port. I have a usb-rs232 adapter but i don't have the original rs232 cable. I've read that i must have the ghl rs232 cable - is that so? Why not use a regular rs232 cable or connect the usb-rs232 adapter straight to the rs232 port on the profilux? Help really needed, thanks!!

Med vänlig hälsning, Björn

is that so?
    Yes

Why not use a regular rs232 cable
    Cause there are several "regular cables" - straight 1:1, TX/RX crossed, with and without hardware hnadshake etc. - it may work with your "regular" cable or not. To ensure the cable is not the reason why it´s not working, it´s hightly reccomended to use the original cable for flash update.

Additional remark: Original cable also is adapted to work with Provilus View II, so wiring is different to all standard cables.

Thanks Gunther! I'll try to find one today.

Now my profilux is up and running but it wasn't easy. I bought the ghl original rs232 cable and tried to flash the profilux using two different kinds of usb-rs232 adapters and it didn't work. I had to go to my neighbour and borrow his 12 year old computer with com port. I think the profilux is a great computer but I really cant understand the "must use" of the rs232. I've read in a lot of forums all over the world and it seemes like a problem I share with many others.

Now my profilux is up and running but it wasn't easy.
    Congratulations

using two different kinds of usb-rs232 adapters and it didn't work.
    There are several USBtoRS232 adapters on the market, unfortunately not all of them do work properly - mostly the signal level is too low (good for most purposes but not for the PL). Best results have the adapters with FTDI chipset (see device manager)

I had to go to my neighbour and borrow his 12 year old computer with com port.
    As said: A real RS232 port is different to what ceap adapters will provide

I really cant understand the "must use" of the rs232.
    Take it as what it is: An emergency fallback. Normally the RS232 never is neccessary, not for normal operation and also not for a firmware update. But if the regular update via USB fails, it´s a way to recover the firmware with no need to sent the device to a service point.

I've read in a lot of forums all over the world and it seemes like a problem I share with many others.
    The problem exists not only for the PL but also for all microcontroller devices. Its based on the extinction of real RS232 ports and the fact that the manufacturers of cheap USBtoRS232 do their work not very well.

However, for the new Profilux 3.1 series emergency update also is possible via USB (in fact, it´s still the same RS232 update mechanism, but with a build-in USBtoRS232 converter which do the work it is supposed to do).

all ProfiLux 3.1 can also be updated via USB in case of an emergency
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    all ProfiLux 3.1 can also be updated via USB in case of an emergency
    I have profilux 3.1a and it didn't work for me - only with a rs232 cable straight to a com port on a pc.

it works, but there is one step more necessary: setting of a jumper (ProfiLux needs to know that the firmware comes via USB instead via RS232)

the problem is: the detailled instructions had not been translated yet. This is happening right now.

As soon as available we publish it
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    it works, but there is one step more necessary: setting of a jumper (ProfiLux needs to know that the firmware comes via USB instead via RS232)

the problem is: the detailled instructions had not been translated yet. This is happening right now.

As soon as available we publish it
    Could you please link to the german site? My school german is a bit rusty but i'll give it a try.

On an interim basis:
    Here is the post with the update instructions in german for the ProfiLux 3.1 via USB (only text).

http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/sh...1439#post41439

Hope this is clear enough and helps for now.