Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USB Problems

Default USB Problems

Well, I finally got my Mitras installed. Got the latest GHL Control program, installed with no problem. Hooked up the USB and can't connect. The driver doesn't load automatically as stated in the Quick start guide, the device manager doesn't have COM/ LPT options. I'm running Win 7 64 fully updated. Uninstalled and reinstalled the GHL software and same results. Searched these forums, no-one else seems to have this problem. How do I get the COM/ LPT option to show up in Device Manager? This laptop has no LPT port, nor does any computer in my house, they went the way of the floppy. If I could find the COM port option maybe I could adjust that, but it doesn't exist. Going to put my Profilux 3 online tomorrow, hope it's easier than this.
    Perry
    A screen shot is worth a thousand words...

Profilux 3.1N eX, 3 PAB 6D, Slave Doser, PLM-ADIN, Vortech Controller, PLM-PWC, Leak detector, 2 LX 6100HV Mitras
    Controlling a 150 DSA Peninsula mixed reef.

If your PC is not showing LPT/COM port in device manager then this is the issue. Even without the Mitras plugged in this is a standard part of device manager, it has nothing to do with Mitras for this to show up

Here is my windows 7 laptop without Mitras connected showing COM/LPT

In regards to language - this can be done from the front panel, I believe under extras

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

Thanks for the reply, my device manager doesn't show COM ports, plugging in the USB doesn't load a driver and connecting to the Mitras is so far is impossible. Could be something simple, the manual, forums and internet have resulted in no answers. Not a good sign for me, GHL is moving to controlling the Profilux through the same software as the Mitras and short of buying another computer I won't be able to use it. Not happy.
    Perry

Profilux 3.1N eX, 3 PAB 6D, Slave Doser, PLM-ADIN, Vortech Controller, PLM-PWC, Leak detector, 2 LX 6100HV Mitras

Hi

as I said above this is not a GHL or Mitras issue, if you PC is not showing any COM port than your PC has an issue, something we can not resolve for you. We dont have control over a users PC or any issue that maybe present on it, sorry.

You may need to add the ports manually. Go into "add/remove hardware", then choose the option that says "let me choose what hardware to install", then go to "choose hardware from a list". Scroll down the list and find the "com ports". Then choose to "add com port". Do the same for lpt.

If that does not work you will have to seek some technical help with your PC as this will effect any USB device you try and use on your computer.

I understand you have no control over my PC, however this problem doesn't affect any other USB device I use. I was able to update the PLC software with a cheap best buy adapter, rs232-USB, and the computer loaded the driver and it worked no problem. The Mitras USB simply doesn't work. I'll figure something out, I got my controller back to English buy guessing at what the German word for language is. Not trying to be negative, but when one spends this kind of money one expects some things to work out the box, like say a USB connection, hasn't been the case with me so far. Two days and I don't even have a return pump running off the controller, just **********.
    Perry

Hi

I maybe wrong but the Mitras possibly uses a virtual COM port for this to work the COM and LPT needs to be present on your device manager. Just because other USB devices are using non virtual does not mean the Mitras is the issue just using different system and your PC needs to have COM activated.

My camera uses a virtual com port and if this was not assigned in device manager it too would not work, that does not mean the camera is at fault.

Windows 7 should come with COM/LPT activated but if you do a Google search you will see multiple threads from users stating their COM/LPT has gone missing, so your issue is not unique or related to Mitras or GHL

I am merely trying to reassure you that this is not a product related issue so you dont get **********.

But to ease your frustration could you possibly follow the advise posted above? it may help. Thanks.

Also make sure the USB cable in plugged in firmly to the Mitras.

In regards to updating software you dont need an adapter to do this unless you have crashed the firmware, you can do firmware updates from the software directly.
    Last edited by aqua_digital; 23.12.2012 at 23:39.

Installed the COM port, code 10, doesn't start. Pointed it to the driver folder in the GHL Control Center folder.

The reason I used the RS232 converter was because I watched your video on how to update firmware. I assumed since the how to video was posted that was the preferred way to do it.

Thanks for the help, I'm not an expert however I'm not computer illiterate either. I've installed other controllers and many light systems over the years and never had issues like I'm having with "The best" controller and lights out there today. I've RTFM too many times to count, I've read the forums for weeks waiting on my order to come in so I'd be prepared. Nothing prepared me for this level of frustration. Thanks again for the help, I'll keep trying today. The next two days are out as Christmas celebrations with the family take precedence. I might have this working in a month. Not what I expected.
    Perry

Unfortunately the frustration is coming from the feeling it is a GHL issue where its good old windows. As I said above, my camera uses virtual port for USB, its not the cameras fault if my PC does not have the correct settings it should have.

Its all too easy to blame the new kid on the block in the system, if you can get past that I think your frustration will ease and we can help you get set up where possible.

Here to help.

Please follow these steps

1. Follow my guidance above about resetting windows bug for deleting the COM/LPT port and make sure COM/LPT now is displayed
    2. attached the Mitras to a USB port making sure the cable is firmly plugged in
    3. Open Mitras software
    4. Click on administration and then device manager
    5. Note what COM port the driver is using
    6 Double click the mitras shown in the connection tab and edit the COM port to match
    7. close the dialogue box and click connect

Well, I did all that, the com port points to the GHL driver and I get code 10, that's windows fault. OK
    Google shows a code 10 as a bad driver or counterfeit chips, GHL would have neither.
    So what chip is in the Mitras so that I can find a good driver?
    Really, I'm not trying to lay blame, I just want my lights to work as advertised. At top dollar I really don't think that's too much to ask. I'll start searching for different virtual com port drivers and start trying them, maybe I'll get lucky. If I do, I'll post what I've found.
    Perry