Thread: PH probe for Calcium Reactor

Default PH probe for Calcium Reactor

Good day,

I have a Calcium reactor which I just purchased and had the option to either use a stand alone PH reader or my profilux. I chose the profilux and bought a probe. I have calibrated and it is wroking well. Now today I setup the entire reactor and have the probe in the reactor.

What I require to do and need some help here....

I have a digital plug bar (non PAB version) with the C02 bottle's solinoid valuve plugged in. I would like to TURN ON Socket 1 on digital plug bar if the PH increases over 6.4 and turn OFF socket 1 when PH reached 6.3.

This is so I can maintain a PH value of 6.4 within the reactor.

Can anyone let me know how to do this please I would really appreciate it. I have looked on the internet found: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1919548

But that seems to be a different way of how I have setup my reactor. I can't find anything on this forum.

I would appreciate the help.

I just want to check some logic here:

1. I set the nominal value to 6.3
    2. I set the Hys value to 0.5

I then went to Socket 1 (on the digital plug bar NON - PAB) and set that to:
    PH2 - Value - DECREASE

Is that the correct way of setting it?

Hi,
    you’re on the right track.

I’m operating a Schuran Jetstream 1 with a pH probe and a timer, all controlled with the PL.

During time I found that 6,2 pH and a hyst. of just 0.1 works fine for me. Also the CO2 is on just 12 hours.

Your settings might differ and they will depend on how much coral you have and its growth.

I recommend to set all very conservative and tweak it up slowly higher. Like just 6h operating time, 6.4 pH and hyst. 0.3

And one more thing I found out: let the circulation pump and feed on! The first days I switched it off too, but the water
    in the reactor turned bad (made an ugly slime in the chamber).

Here’re some screenshots of my settings: (sorry it’s in German)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1000L SPS dom., 4x Mitras LX 6100 HV, GHL ProfiLux 3ex, KH Director, Expansionbox, SMS-Modul, Dosing Unit 4, ATI Powercone 250i, Shuran Jetstream 1 CA reactor,......

Thank you for your response here is what I have done and need some clarification:

1. The addition of C02 - Increases PH in the reactor chamber ?
    2. I have set SOCKET 1 to - PH2 Value - INCREASE
    So my logic (and please comment) says:

If my Nominal Value for PH 2 probe is 6.3 and my Hsyteries is 0.5 that means:
    When my PH reaches 6.3 -> TURN ON SOCKET 1 -> Turns ON C02 into reactor -> When PH 2 reaches 6.35 (Nominal Value + Hysteries value) -> TURN OFF Solinoid valve -> CLOSE C02.

I am not running my CO2 for a specific number of hours. Am I suppose to? I thought I maintain the PH in the Reactor chaimber by turning on and off the CO2 when the PH range varies between Nominal value 6.3 and Hysteries value 0.5.

Is my logic incorrect?

Once again thank you.

1.NO, CO2 is an acid and it’s addition will decrease the pH.

2.You have to set your socket to decrease!

3. If your normal value for pH probe 2 is 6.3 and hyst. is 0.5 than the CO2
    will be added since pH is higher than 6.55 and will be turned off at 6.3 pH. See in manual under hysteries.

4.To not to run the reactor 24/7 was just a suggestion from my side.
    It depends on how effective your reactor is and what the calcium demand of your aquarium is!
    So you’re not supposed to do so, but have to considerer this option to not to overdose the system.
    1000L SPS dom., 4x Mitras LX 6100 HV, GHL ProfiLux 3ex, KH Director, Expansionbox, SMS-Modul, Dosing Unit 4, ATI Powercone 250i, Shuran Jetstream 1 CA reactor,......

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    1.NO, CO2 is an acid and it’s addition will decrease the pH.

2.You have to set your socket to decrease!

3. If your normal value for pH probe 2 is 6.3 and hyst. is 0.5 than the CO2
    will be added since pH is higher than 6.55 and will be turned off at 6.3 pH. See in manual under hysteries.

4.To not to run the reactor 24/7 was just a suggestion from my side.
    It depends on how effective your reactor is and what the calcium demand of your aquarium is!
    So you’re not supposed to do so, but have to considerer this option to not to overdose the system.
    @Monty thank you for the time you took to respond. Ok got it do you know which manual explains the hysteries values?

Quote Originally Posted by myprofilux View Post
    @Monty thank you for the time you took to respond. Ok got it do you know which manual explains the hysteries values?
    It is in here: http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/...ad.php?did=412

Thank you sir !

I am trying to understand Hysteries: So if I want my solinoid to come ON at 6.35 and turn off at 6.3 I do the following?

1. Nominal value 6.3
    2. Hysteries 0.05

Does that make sense? Or am I wrong

I've only just purchased a Profilux 3 ex and haven't set it up yet - but my reading of the manual is that the pH controller has a resolution of 0.1 and that the hysteresis is the total range above and below your nominal value.

You might be better off setting nominal value of 6.3 and hysteresis of 0.2

This will turn on your co2 at pH 6.4 and turn it off at 6.2. Still a reasonably narrow range and will prevent your co2 constantly turning on and off

Hello Monty,

I plan to run my Ca reactor exactly as you described, with controlled operating time. Have just received my 3.1A.

Could you advise me on how you achieved this? Wish I could read german .

I plan to run it for only 1hr a day initially, as my sps stocking is very low at the moment. Assuming 6.6 is the target, could I set Nocturnal Change @ 1.00, so Max 7.6 for the remaining 23 hrs. So the rest of the time it won't bother trying to lower the ph, unless it exceeds 7.6. (Reactor flow is slow, so would barely exceed 7.5). Would this work? Would prefer to program on the unit itself, without the PLC.

Thanks!