Thread: Kalk with ATO

Default Kalk with ATO

Hi all,

I eventually got my Kalk reactor connected up to the ATO. The setup

RO/DI chamber -> Small pump in chamber - Profilux Level Switch (Normal One)

Then I have:

Small pump in chamber -> Kalk Stirrer "inlet"
    Kalk Stirrer "OUTLET" --> Probe holder -> Sump

What I need to do:

1. ATO -- Done

2. Kalk Stirrer is connected to PAB Digital Power Bar S3. I need to turn the Kalk Stirrer motor on every 2 hours for 15mins. I setup a timer to do this but the timer only allows 8 times i.e. 8 Entries.

QUESTION: How do I do this do I user a timer (if so how), is there a different way to do it?

3. I need to TURN OFF ATO: If the Kalk Stirrer Timer is ON AND not allow the ATO to come on for 15mins after the Kalk Stirrer has been on.

Question: How to do those two things above.

Reason: I don't want the Kalk Particles to be pushed into the Sump so while the motor is stirring and 15 mins after (to allow the Kalk mixture to settle)

4. I also want to set some fail safes:

4.1 For now I will only have ONE LEVEL switch (going to get another one soon) - What are the best Auto top up practices to prevent a failure to dump all the KALK solution into the SUMP.

4.2 Lets say ATO starts - the Drip rate is slow as I don't want huge variations in the SUMP with the KALK solution. If I use a fail safe of say ATO can only run for 5mins, and at 5 mins this duration has given the ATO enough time to get the level switch back to closed state. Does it throw an error, is there a way to say: 5mins its run - Turn off (Fail Safe) - wait 1 min - If level is still not right try again. After three times if Level is still not right - problem turn all ATO functions off.

4.3 I want to use PH 2 value as a fail safe. If the value or hysteresis varies i.e. value is higher than PH 8.4 then TURN all ATO functions off.

I would appreciate the guidance.

Thank you!

Any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by myprofilux View Post
    Any ideas ?
    Got a couple, but need to sit down with my system and work out what the profilux actual screens are etc, will be weekend probably!
    But I think some if not all can be set up.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
    Got a couple, but need to sit down with my system and work out what the profilux actual screens are etc, will be weekend probably!
    But I think some if not all can be set up.
    Oh thank you looking fwd to it!!!

Thank you again

Hey @Antipodes or anyone else,

Any help with this?

Yeah, Sorry. Had a mountain bike accident on Saturday and have been out of action.
    I am not at work tomorrow, so will put a few things together tomorrow morning.
    If you are on the west coast, that will be Tuesday morning for me and Mon afternoon for you.
    Had a bit written down before Friday but have not been able to test it.
    Going to bed now. 22:30 for me.
    Call me Paul !

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
    Yeah, Sorry. Had a mountain bike accident on Saturday and have been out of action.
    I am not at work tomorrow, so will put a few things together tomorrow morning.
    If you are on the west coast, that will be Tuesday morning for me and Mon afternoon for you.
    Had a bit written down before Friday but have not been able to test it.
    Going to bed now. 22:30 for me.
    GOOD LUCK! I am sorry to hear about the accident I to mountain bike. Here is to a speedy recovery!

1. ATO -- Done
    2. Kalk Stirrer is connected to PAB Digital Power Bar S3. I need to turn the Kalk Stirrer motor on every 2 hours for 15mins. I setup a timer to do this but the timer only allows 8 times i.e. 8 Entries
    This one was easy.
    Set up a timer with the switchmode set at Cyclic
    Set first event turn ON at 7200 secs (This will turn on pump after 2 hrs)
    Set second event turn on OFF 900 secs (This will turn off pump after 15 min)
    Go to sockets and set a socket for the timer you have just made (eg 6) for your kalk stirrer.

3. I need to TURN OFF ATO: If the Kalk Stirrer Timer is ON AND not allow the ATO to come on for 15mins after the Kalk Stirrer has been on.
    This was a little more complex and required setting a number of programmable logic gates.

Set a gate (ie G6) and select timer (ie 6) and select inverted (Because you want the exact time the stirrer stops, not when it starts)
    Set time for the delay you want which is 900 seconds after the stirrer stops stirring.
    Set function is delayed on
    Name (Delay for ATO while stirrer is on)

Set a gate (ie G7)
    input 1 select timer (ie 6) Select inverted.
    Input 2 select fill water ATO (Your one that is using the kalk?)
    Function should be AND
    And select a description for yourself (ie ATO water when stirrer not on)

Set a gate (ie G8)
    input 1 select functional logic G6
    Input 2 select functional logic G7
    Function should be AND

This will work as I have tested it with reduce timings and it exactly as you wanted it.

I also want to set some fail safes:
    4.1 For now I will only have ONE LEVEL switch (going to get another one soon) - What are the best Auto top up practices to prevent a failure to dump all the KALK solution into the SUMP.

Lets say ATO starts - the Drip rate is slow as I don't want huge variations in the SUMP with the KALK solution. If I use a fail safe of say ATO can only run for 5mins, and at 5 mins this duration has given the ATO enough time to get the level switch back to closed state. Does it throw an error, is there a way to say: 5mins its run - Turn off (Fail Safe) - wait 1 min - If level is still not right try again. After three times if Level is still not right - problem turn all ATO functions off.
    You can do a functional logic to do a pulse which will do 1 off 1 on or 5 on 5 off.

4.3 I want to use PH 2 value as a fail safe. If the value or hysteresis varies i.e. value is higher than PH 8.4 then TURN all ATO functions off.
    Yes, you can do this also with functional logic, problem with this is if the KALK is your only top of source, the level could get quite low, depending on tank configuration and parameters?? But I guess you could set it up to do this and see if it works or not.

You just have to set another fucntional gate
    Set a gate (ie G9)
    input 1 select functional logic G8
    Input 2 select functional logic of PH Value (probe no) increase
    Function should be AND

Make sure in the PH sensor page that your nominal is set to 8.4 and it is set for two position controller at the bottom. This is a area you could also use a pulse paused setting and do what you suggested in 4.1

Just keep in mind that out of every 150 minutes, the ATO is off for 30 minutes due to the requirements above!!

See how you go.
    Last edited by Antipodes; 27.02.2013 at 01:12. Reason: Amend text
    Call me Paul !

Body coming back slowly, LH leg is still twice the size of the other one, so I guess it will be another couple of weeks till back on bike. At least the pain is starting to diminish, but the bruising is really starting to show. At 54 I find that the body seems to take less of a punishment and takes longer to get back to a reasonable level once better!
    Hope the other info I gave you is all good!
    Call me Paul !

Firstly thank you for taking the time I really appreicate it!

I hope you have a speedy recovery so you can get back out there

Again I appreciate the help thank you!