Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tunze Flow Rate

Frage Tunze Flow Rate

Hi all,

I had my tank set-up for me a good 3 years ago with two Tunze 6101 connected to a Profilux 2plus and as it was set-up for me I took it for granted that everything was set-up correctly.

While playing about with the settings and feeling the flow of the pumps I noticed that the pumps cut off at 18% which I thought was strange. I then did some digging and found that the 1-10 settings should of had a 3/8 min/max setting which had not been done. I have now done this and the pumps do now stop at 0% and come on at 1%.

The question I now have is how can I test if the flow is increasing as I would expect on the pumps. On the software I can see with the pumps set in sinus mode gradually building up from 0% to 70% on screen but if I put my hand in front of the pump it just seems to come on at a constant flow. Is there any suggested way to test if the increase/decrease is working? Should I expect to feel a difference with my hand or is the difference not that great, I don't know if it should start very faint and then end extremely aggressive.

On reading other threads I have tested by setting my L3/4 as illumination to check that I have a Tunze 1 and 2 cable which I do seem to have so that's a start.

I have had a 6101 fail on me and it was replaced with a 6105, so I have 1 6101 and 1 6105 and have the 24v jumper in the power supply for both pumps.

Any help suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Liam

I also quickly called Tunze UK to ask them if I should feel a difference in the flow by hand and they said yes. Then when I told them I had set the min to 3v and max to 8v, they said I would feel very little difference between 3 and 8 v as the pumps can go upto 24v. Is he correct or am I missing something?

it seems the person replied you hasn't understood the question: the DC voltage of the pump motors is 24V, the control signal is 3 - 8V -> so this is OK

you can check if the L-port in question is varying the speed: open the 1-10V settings and watch the displayed voltage there - if your current is set to 0% to 100% and the L-port is set to a voltage range of 3V to 8V you should see there a varying value between 3V and 8V
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    it seems the person replied you hasn't understood the question: the DC voltage of the pump motors is 24V, the control signal is 3 - 8V -> so this is OK
    Thanks, I thought there must have been confusion somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    you can check if the L-port in question is varying the speed: open the 1-10V settings and watch the displayed voltage there - if your current is set to 0% to 100% and the L-port is set to a voltage range of 3V to 8V you should see there a varying value between 3V and 8V
    Yes when in the 1-10v setting window I am seeing the actual current rate change between 3v and 8v so it all seems ok but I can't feel a change in flow rate.

Last night I disconnected a pump from the profilux and got my wife to adjust the flow of the pump with the small white dial on the tunze box and I could feel a difference in the flow when she did that so its all a bit odd really.

Thanks

Liam

I have two 6105 opposite in the back corners and yes, you can feel the difference in the flow when you put your hand.

Because there are in the back corner and near the bottom, if I want to test them I usually put one blade cleaner in front of them. This way it is very easy to see the difference in the flow due to the torque upon the blade cleaner from the power of the pumps .

Or you can hold a piece of piece of filterwool in front of them and you can see the way it changes the way it moves by responding the flow rate changes.

I use 18V jumpers because I want to cut down the power due to the size of my aquarium.

Worlds most gadget Aquarium.. almost.

Cheers for the suggestion. I set off a manual thunderstorm so the pumps would go 100% and I could see the 1-10v go between 3 and 8. I then put my hand in front of the pumps while watching the 1-10v and could not feel any difference in power. Any suggestions to what the possible problem is? Would really love to get this working properly.

Liam

You should check if you are using one TunzeL & one TunzeR cable and the correct splitter from Ghl.
    So unplug everything and plug the TunzeL cable directrly to profilux (no splitter) and check if flow is changing.
    Then connect the same cable to the other pump and check the flow again.
    Do the same with the second cable.
    You should come to a conclusion if the problem is the cable or the splitter.

Worlds most gadget Aquarium.. almost.

You mentioned that you were playing with the power adjustment on the driver box.
    Make sure this is set at 100% to give full control to the profilux.

I have six 6100's and they work as advertised.

Per almost's instructions ensure each step is working correctly before going to the next step.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

yes make sure the tunzes are @ max on the driver box. otherwise the profilux has no range to change the rpm of the tunzes

To verify if the the profilux is steerting your pumps you can set min and max to 0% and save
    if the pump stops its steered by the profilux. Then you can test different speeds with your tunzes just set min max the same

Thanks everyone, I think one problem I had was that the speed control was not set to max and so that helped. I also think I have a faulty power supply and so have ordered a new one and then will test again.

With the faulty power supply the pump would seem to cut out at a certain flow.