Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ato and water replacement questions

After reading the programming manual I am quite confident that I will be able to program my original sequence using 3 level sensors as the water change and ato function allows for 1 sensor to perform 2 functions depending on which mode it is in. I believe that programmable logic should allow me to customise these functions.

As i seem to be having no luck on this forum in the a way of a confirmation from a moderator or anyone else I guess I am now just going to purchase the system and go for it!

I guess the only way of proving anything in life is by actually doing it! If anyone is actually interested and it doesn't seem anyone is (I may as well be talking to myself right now haha) I will post back here in any case and hopefully with the succesfull programming instructions for people should they ever want to automate large water changes in their systems.

I will also do a youtube video as well which if this works, would help to promote the profilux 3 system.

Bye for now

Here you are Shardy!!!! I have been trying to mimic your water change setup from your video but can not figure out how to do it in PL. I cant seem to get help from the forums so would you be willing to share your PL config? Im doing mine a lot like yours but draining from the sump and filling to the sump. But I want the return pump to shut off once it hits the bottom sensor to maximize my water change.

Quote Originally Posted by rcmania View Post
    Here you are Shardy!!!! I have been trying to mimic your water change setup from your video but can not figure out how to do it in PL. I cant seem to get help from the forums so would you be willing to share your PL config? Im doing mine a lot like yours but draining from the sump and filling to the sump. But I want the return pump to shut off once it hits the bottom sensor to maximize my water change.
    Hi

If you are draining from the sump then this will work very differently to mine. I drain from the tank allowing the final levels in the sump to control the process. It requires 2 level sensors top and bottom to make it work exclude your ato sensor. You put sensor/level 1 into min max control mode. This will then work with sensor 2, sensor 1 is max and sensor 2 is min. (sensor/level 3 is your ato)

If i remember right the "water 1" function responds to level 1 which if set to min max control will also control level 2 in that mode.

so now i set my return pump socket (or anything else)to water 1 - inverted. This will turn off any sockets that are set to water 1 inverted and those sockets will stay on permanently if there is always water covering level 2 which is the min control (well below top up level)

If water is not on level 2 the devices set to "water 1" inverted will turn off and only turn on again once level 1 (the max level) has been reached.

remember that your water in the final stage of the sump will always have a high level when the return pump is turned off so what you have to do is find out the sweet spot (high level) so that when that level is reached and your return pump turns back on it will end up standing at your normal running ato level. This is key as you now have the perfect cue to stop fill pumps so that you never have any more water in your system than the normal running quantity.

Now comes the extra automated part.

You can start the process by simply draining water from your tank using a timer. when level 2 is reached your chosen sockets turn off (return pump, mp40's, skimmer etc..) The system continutes for as long as your timer says. Now, heres the final trick.

you must set your salt fill pump socket to programmable logic 6 (or what ever number you want to use)

programmable logic 6 is set to delayed on function and programmable logic 5

the delayed on is the time it takes to drain the amount of water you are changing before the salt fill pump comes on. In my case 260 sec for a 15% water change.

programmable logic 5 is set to AND with input 1 as "water 1" and input 2 as "always on"

This will mean that in the opposite way with the return pump set to water 1 inverted that the max level 1 will always turn off the fill pump.

This system is very safe and would need your ato sensor and your level 1 sensor to fail at the same time to cause a problem. If your salt fill tank only has enough water for 1 water change then you will never overflow your tank by a failure.

I have never had a single problem running this system in 3 years and the profilux optical level sensors have been very reliable.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask.