Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with full sim LED's

Default Problems with full sim LED's

I have a very strange problem with my GHL Profilux running full sim LED's
    They work fine when connected to ports L1 / L2 but will not work when connected to ports L3/L4. I have configured illumination 3 for the Blue Moonlights and Illumination 4 for the Red sunset / sunrise LED's If I map I3/I4 to L1/L2 they work fine - if I map I3/I4 to L3/L4 they dont work ( not even if I try to manually light them using the sliders on the light scenarios. I find this very strange as there is very little congig on the 1/10v ports.

I do have a second L1 - 10V interface card in slot 1 - the LED's work also on these ports but there is no lightning effect ( I believe his is correct as he manual states that lightning is only available on L1/L2 and L3/L4.

I have been working with Steve at Reefdreams to get this resolved - I have tried defaulting the GHL and adding a config file that has been checked by Steve -unfortunately this failed to resolve the problem

I have also come across another problem with a 1-10v port on my GHL Profilux. Last night I noticed 1 of my Tunze streams was not working ( configured on port 5 as part of a pair on 5/6 using a GHL splitter )

This morning I have done lots of testing and tracked the problem down to the 1-10v interface !

Testing Completed:
    Control cable removed from pump - pumps work ok
    Control cable placed on another pump - pump stops
    Problem follows control cable from port 5

I have as a temp measure, moved the pair of Tunze's to ports 7/8 and they are now working ok …

I am now completely stuck for ideas with both of the problems ….
    Last edited by bubbling-under; 27.02.2009 at 00:58.

it sound you are familiar with doing the settings and I have doubts if your settings are the reason for the problems

A simple way to test the interface is to set it to 1V and 10V and illumination x. Then you manually change the brightness. Now you should see a change of the voltage between 1V and 10V (1% ... 100%) and 0V at 0%. Can you check the interfaces in this way? During this test all illumination simulations (moon, clouds, rainy days) must be deactivated in order to obtain a sense making result, and ensure that the burn-in is not active for the illumination channel in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    it sound you are familiar with doing the settings and I have doubts if your settings are the reason for the problems

A simple way to test the interface is to set it to 1V and 10V and illumination x. Then you manually change the brightness. Now you should see a change of the voltage between 1V and 10V (1% ... 100%) and 0V at 0%. Can you check the interfaces in this way? During this test all illumination simulations (moon, clouds, rainy days) must be deactivated in order to obtain a sense making result, and ensure that the burn-in is not active for the illumination channel in question.
    Hi Mattias - thanks for the response.. what would be the best way to complete the test... use a voltmeter.. or possibly use my dimmable T5's.
    If I connect the T5's to the port that I am having problems with the Tunze's on (L5) then am I right in assuming that if I connect the T5's they should brighten and dim as the pumps would surge ?

The strange thing with ports L3/4 is that my dimmable T5's work ok on this port ( I guess they are connected to L3) however full sim LED's will not work on this port ! Do the Full Sim LED's use any additional control leads ?

Not sure how I can test L4 as the only device that I have that will work on the even channels 2,4,6 or 8 is a Tunze pump. I believe the T5's are configured to work on the odd channels 1,3,5 etc .

I am guessing that the best way to test the ports would be to make up a lead just for the purpose

The pin-out info I have is :
    Pin Function Color
    1 +12V - Black
    2 Dimming intensity channel 1 - Brown
    3 GND - Red
    4 On/off channel 1 (relay control) - Orange
    5 Dimming intensity channel 2 - Yellow
    6 On/off channel 2 (relay control) - Green

Do you used standard western cables / sockets ? or would I have to get the test lead from GHL ?

Regards,

Paul

Hi

yes you can only test the odd channels with your T5.
    The Simu uses 2 channels. What in the Simu does not work exactly? The red LEDs can't be turned on?
    A voltmeter is necessary for a test.
    Our western plug is standard 6p6c

Hi

yes you can only test the odd channels with your T5.
    The Simu uses 2 channels. What in the Simu does not work exactly? The red LEDs can't be turned on?
    A voltmeter is necessary for a test.
    Our western plug is standard 6p6c
    If plugged into L3/4 neither the red or blue LED's will work - they work OK if plugged into L1/2....However the T5 will work in L3/4
    Why his should be, I have no idea !

You can see my configuration in the following thread ...
    http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...d.php?t=281491
    (assuming a ref to Ultimate Reef is ok for this purpose ! )

I have no idea what this can be - please measure the voltage, we must consider that some of the L-ports died for some reason. Only after getting the measurement results I can do some diagnostics here.

Recently we had a case where defective electronics of the Tunze driver blew up some of our 1-10V circuits. Very weird was in that case that the problem in the Tunze driver occured not permanently, most time it worked well.

PS: A reference to Ultimate Reef is ok, this is an open and free forum.

I have no idea what this can be - please measure the voltage, we must consider that some of the L-ports died for some reason. Only after getting the measurement results I can do some diagnostics here.

Recently we had a case where defective electronics of the Tunze driver blew up some of our 1-10V circuits. Very weird was in that case that the problem in the Tunze driver occured not permanently, most time it worked well.

PS: A reference to Ultimate Reef is ok, this is an open and free forum.
    Tunze is the only common point here - Ports L3/4 were also used to control Tunze pumps before I re-configured them for LED's , moving the pumps onto the expansion card ports 5/6 and 7/8 ...

Sorry for my ignorance but do I measure the voltage between

1 +12v and 2/5 depending on channel or 3 GND and 2/5 I am assuming the +12v but don't want to do any damage
    Also what should I expect on the On/Off channels ?

I assume the following to be correct:

1 +12V - Black
    2 Dimming intensity channel 1 - Brown
    3 GND - Red
    4 On/off channel 1 (relay control) - Orange
    5 Dimming intensity channel 2 - Yellow
    6 On/off channel 2 (relay control) - Green

Hi Matthias,

Just completed the testing ...
    The light scenario screen was used and the manual slider controls used - all storm, cloud and moon simulation was switched of
    With the positive lead of the voltmeter on the +12v lead, the following reading were taken on the following pins.
    Dimming intensity levels 1&2, 11.66 volts light off, 1.75 volts lights full on
    on/off channels 1&2 0.2 volts off, 11.66 volts on

So all looks ok in the controller to me - I can therefore only assume that there is a problem with the full sim LEDS resulting in them working on ports 1/2 but not 3/4 .... very strange !

I also tested the port that I am having problems with the Tunze Streams on - port tests ok pump works ok on another port/cable - I therefore assume there may be a problem with either the splitter or cable - I will complete further testing on this problem tomorrow.

Thanks for your valuable assistance

we need a voltage measurement between GND and dimminig intensity:
    voltage between 3 and 2 respectively 3 and 5

please measure these voltages on all L-ports, I assume that L4 and L6 will not show proper values, maybe damaged through an intermediate failfunction of the pump

Thanks for confirming the test points..
    Results were as I would expect All ports ok with the exception of:
    L/4 no voltage out and L5 also no voltage
    All configuration was double checked
    L4 was being used for the SIM LED's and L5 the Tunze 6055 that stopped working.

The Tunze is now working ok on another port, but if you suspect this may be the problem perhaps I should return it to the Tunze dealer for testing

"Recently we had a case where defective electronics of the Tunze driver blew up some of our 1-10V circuits. Very weird was in that case that the problem in the Tunze driver occured not permanently, most time it worked well"

The problem with my Tunze Nano Stream 6055 was also very intermittent .... At one stage I also had a Tunze on port 4, before I added the additional interface and re-configured it for the LED - however the LED never worked on this port so it may also have been damaged by the Tunze
    Last edited by bubbling-under; 01.03.2009 at 01:26.