Thread: DIY led for RSM 250 info needed

Default DIY led for RSM 250 info needed

Hi,

I have a RSM 250 running and A 180x60x60 and 200L frag tank.

I bought last week a lot off profilux materials to setup my RSM for test so when it work well I will control my180 tank as well.
    my rsm tank is my test tank before I add new hardware to my show tank to be sure everything works correct.

Now my question. I want to change my standard bulbs for DIY power LEDs with blue white and red LEDs. I want this to be controlled by led control from profilux ofcourse. Now I don't have knowladge in off to know what I really need from A to Z
    I really will need your help.

Witch led controller would be the best for me.?
    Witch kind off LEDs are good and trustable?
    How many LEDs can I use for one led controller? Ofcourse depends off the kind off LEDs.
    Etc etc....
    Pleas help me out...

I try to find it out on forums and of course the net but I really don't get more wise but only more confused.

Several of the questions you're asking aren't really ProfiLux type of questions. It doesn't become a ProfiLux issue until you have the drivers connected to the unit. There are a couple of options but once you have the unit wired up (via drivers) you'll most likely want to wire in an EVG-AP-2F Ballast Control Board which would control 2 channels (for instance Whites & Blues). The EVG comes with the correct cord to attach it into your ProfiLux via an (L) port so you don't ever need to open the ProfiLux up to attach your lights.

Depending on where you live depends on who you need to contact re:LEDs & Drivers but I think some of the best in North America are www.ReefLEDlights.com

Also Martin with ModularLED is familiar with this project and can even supply the EVG with the LED kit for you to assemble.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl07 View Post
    Several of the questions you're asking aren't really ProfiLux type of questions. It doesn't become a ProfiLux issue until you have the drivers connected to the unit. There are a couple of options but once you have the unit wired up (via drivers) you'll most likely want to wire in an EVG-AP-2F Ballast Control Board which would control 2 channels (for instance Whites & Blues). The EVG comes with the correct cord to attach it into your ProfiLux via an (L) port so you don't ever need to open the ProfiLux up to attach your lights.

Depending on where you live depends on who you need to contact re:LEDs & Drivers but I think some of the best in North America are www.ReefLEDlights.com
    It is a very much profilux question because it has to be controlled by the profilux.
    And I need to know what I need to have to control it with led control and extra needed parts to make it. Whaen I have the units needed how many LEDs I can burn without any problems.

I answered your question the best I can from a "ProfiLux" point of view. The ProfiLux will "Control" the Meanwell drivers (up to you to how many channels etc) via the EVG board. Everything beyond the EVG is not ProfiLux dependent at all.

Look at it like this... You have a Car and you want to use it to pull a camper. You can't ask the trailer hitch people what kind of camper to buy because all they care about is connecting your car to a standard trailer hitch assembly. ProfiLux connects directly to the EVG control board and the light is wired into the EVG control board on the other side. The ProfiLux doesn't know if you have 1 white LED over there or 150 LED over there. It's just sending a signal out to that channel (On, Off, 10%- 100%).

Check out some of the high end DIY LED kit companies (again www.ReefLEDlights.com and ModularLED) to find out what LED components your particular set-up will require. They will help you pick out your LEDs, Drivers, Heatsinks and other components. Just make sure they know you're going to use an EVG card for every 2 channels and some even have these on hand and might even wire them up ahead of time.

Thank you very much for your information because now everything is a lot more clear for me.
    So in theorie it will be as follow.
    The LEDs and dimmablle led driver is ext from profilux. This is very clear to me. The only important fact I have to take care off is that the LED driver is dimmablle from 1-10V what can be connected to the evg from profilux.
    This is correct or not. I am sorry but I am really not in the LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by michelg View Post
    Thank you very much for your information because now everything is a lot more clear for me.
    So in theorie it will be as follow.
    The LEDs and dimmablle led driver is ext from profilux. This is very clear to me. The only important fact I have to take care off is that the LED driver is dimmablle from 1-10V what can be connected to the evg from profilux.
    This is correct or not. I am sorry but I am really not in the LEDs
    Most LED kits use Meanwell drivers just make sure you get with the kit manufacturer and that they are using dimmable Meanwell drivers.

The set-up will be LEDs wired into driver(s).... Driver(s) wired into EVG and EVG has a standard "modular" jack that is plugged into an (L) port on your ProfiLux. The EVG comes with the cord and modular jack to complete the connection from EVG to profiLux. Think of the EVG as an Interpreter between the LED/Driver and your ProfiLux.

Just keep in mind that each EVG will only drive/control 2 channels so if your setup uses more you'll need to get enough EVG to do the job.

I have wrote them an mail regarding the led fixture for my rsm. So now waiting for my response from them. I have now two evg cards with two Chanel's so if needed I can control 4 groups separated.