Thread: considering a purchase

Default considering a purchase

I'm considering buying a SMS module, but the cost is a little intimidating. Knowing about a power outage and being able to respond is priceless though.
    Couple questions maybe people can help me out with.
    With a SIM card - how long do they last before they expire? I.e., if I bought a $20 card, does it last until the money is used up, or in general, do they have an expiration date? Any recommendations on a company that sells them with good terms?

Does it come with a PAB cable or is that an additional cost?

How long does the battery in the module last?

I'm a little nervous about spending so much just for power outage notification, ya? I basically have my p3 connected to the internet now so none of the other SMS functions are valuable.

I have my unit connected via Cingular. I basically added an extra line to my account for 9.99 $ monthly and I get unlimited texts.
    To me it's PRICELESS to know when there is a power outage. I would love for the SMS unit to send me DETAILED alarms, but I guess GHL is working on that.
    As far as PAB cable I did not get one when I ordered so I assume the answer is NO.
    As far as battery, my SMS unit has been connected for the past 8 months.....so far NO ISSUES when it comes to battery life.
    I was also nervous before purchasing unit but once you get your first text regarding power outage / alarm, you will be VERY happy you spend $$$ on the unit.

I DO NOT REGRET SPENDING $$$ on the SMS UNIT.

Awesome, thanks for the info!
    You're swaying me! With my email support, I don't really need to see any other alarms (already sent to me via email to my cell phone #), so I don't know if I really want to swing $10/month for another line. (since the ONLY thing I'll be using it for is power outages)

Know any cheaper options for sim cards? Even like a card good for only 5 or so text messages would be fine for this use..

You can always get a prepaid sim card which loads $ monthly. As little as you want every month.
    As far as email support goes....I have the same set up. But think about this, if power goes off, your router, etc etc won't work so you will never get an email if your alarms go off!!!
    If you have the $ available I wouldn't hesitate buying it.
    IMO

The sms unit is great, especially if you get a power cut or the internet does not work.
    Only issue with the sms is that it lacks details on why you get a alarm and how often it send texts when you have a alarm. GHL are still working on updating the
    software.