Thread: controlling a solenoid with 1-10v output

Frage controlling a solenoid with 1-10v output

I have a 12v solenoid that I want to use with my controller but I don't want to have to use an outlet on the power bar. I have wired the solenoid so I can plug it into a 1-10v output on the controller but I don't know how to program the controller to activate the solenoid. I have tried setting the 1-10v output to function as a pump control that is at a 100% and it did open the solenoid but I am unable to assign a float switch to turn it off. Any ideas?

This can´t work. It destroyes your L-Port, so drop that. Use a socket as foreseen

Quote Originally Posted by Wirus View Post
    This can´t work. It destroyes your L-Port, so drop that. Use a socket as foreseen
    Very wise advice. Max current draw on the L port is minimal and a solenoid current draw will fry it for sure.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

the solenoid only draws 20mah, what is the max current supported on the L port? Is there any other way to connect a 12v solenoid without using an outlet on the power bar? Thank you for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by smaascott View Post
    the solenoid only draws 20mah, what is the max current supported on the L port? Is there any other way to connect a 12v solenoid without using an outlet on the power bar? Thank you for the replies!
    Max 10 to 15ma per socket according to this linkhttp://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?L-port-current
    Then also consider that you should calculate a 10 times current draw for inrush current draw on initial start.
    Definitely a no go.

You could look at some of the lighting control modules which have switching which is activated from the L port. But have not used or played with these so can't offer any solutions there really, except to have a look yourself.

Or if you are really serious and know your electronics you could build your own relay system which is activated from the L port. You would need to get more data from Profilux on this as you would need to know how the L port is activating a switching signal and then build the module using a programmable chip and maybe some software.

Of course the cost and time of doing this, it would probably be easier to buy another power bar!
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

haha yes it is easier to just buy another power bar but it is not as much fun! I was just curious how a solenoid could be integrated into a profilux controlled system. Thanks for all the replies and information! I guess I will just use my solenoid on a 110v outlet for now

Buy the EVG-AP-2F board, use the relay part of it.

0% dimmming = Relay off

1% or above = Relay on.

The relay on the board is rated for 10 amps i think.

Good thread here.
    http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/sh...-EVG-AP-2F-HIC