Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wlan with belkin home base wireless usb?

small remark: If you have a P3 its still important to keep that also connected to your network ( not only the usb ) otherwise you loose alot of features of the P3 (without using the ethernet port )

Oh really? Do you mean the webserver? or what other features will I miss out on?

yep
    webserver ,
    stand alone emailing and alerting
    rss feed
    and NTP server (time keeping, internal clock is not that accurate => my personal experience)

also third party apps , like marine mad (not longer available ) and Andriod apps is using the ethernet interface.

I never use the 'pure' usb (anymore) , It was not stable in the beginning, after 2 failed usb FW upgrades (early days of the P3 )
    I never looked back to usb once I had a USB to serial convertor.
    That being said USB has been improved although improvements where added later , like switching powerbars switch off before FW upgrade because this could cause a spike on the usb and ternaminate the connection ).

Even today IF I recommend a P3 to someone I say get a serial cable + got convertor and forget direct USB.

So for me its simple :
    - usb to serial for firmware upgrades.
    - ethernet ( via wifi ) for config and day to day use

So I would add my usb to serial to your belkin so I could do reliable wireless USB FW upgrades via serial
    Last edited by Blahenazo; 07.12.2011 at 18:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Blahenazo View Post
    So for me its simple :
    - usb to serial for firmware upgrades.
    - ethernet ( via wifi ) for config and day to day use
    Excellent advice! All it takes is one hosed FW update to convince you what your future upgrade methods are. Aqua_Digital is potentially going to include the USB/RS232 adapter in new kits just to alleviate some potential pitfalls for future users. I think that's an excellent idea from a "Support" standpoint.

Thanks for this

but i dont fully understand, how would I get a usb to serial working using the belkin. Do you mean to hardwire the usb to serial to my pc for firmware upgrades?

I understand the ethernet option and as i will be missing those features that i consider pretty damn essential I will have to rig up a wireless ethernet setup too! Is there no way to get email notifications without ethernet?

I just repeating what you said on the previous page.

Quote Originally Posted by shardyl View Post
    Then whatever usb device you connect into the belkin simply acts as if it was hardwired to that pc! and I mean "whatever!"
    so if you would normally do
    - pc -> usb to serial dongle-> serial to profilux 3

you would just add your belkin into the mix and tada !!!

Quote Originally Posted by shardyl View Post

I understand the ethernet option and as i will be missing those features that i consider pretty damn essential I will have to rig up a wireless ethernet setup too! Is there no way to get email notifications without ethernet?
    Well the webserver and other the funky stuff I mentioned is 'behind' the ethernet port ,
    The usb port is just an usb port but its doesn't have other features, its like you can't expect from the serial port to send emails ))

The only way to get email notification to work via USB to keep a pc on 24/7 and run PLC 24/7 to act as a hub.
    But what's the point in that ?? If the P3 can do its stand alone IF you connect it to your network. ( not to mention the extra pof -points of failure- you create if you use the hub)

and even if you can send email via PLC , you don't have the other goodies I mentioned.

It has been said earlier in this thread why don't you just use a wifi bridge to get your ethernet connected.

The wifi usb thing you setup is nice but it will only be used for FW upgrades. And as said for that a usb - serial cable will do just fine.
    Last edited by Blahenazo; 07.12.2011 at 21:24.

Thanks for this valuable info!

I am a profilux newbe and appreciate all this advice

The thing is I have a server PC connected permanently in my office that i use for my home automation and other hosting applications. It is on permanently so could i use it for email access as you suggested. I am also accessing the profilux PLC via USB too and everything seems to work fine.

I dont understand the advantage of the serial port as I performed all the FW updates for my PAB plugbars through USB and all seemed to work well.

Can my server host the profilux webserver if the server has PLC running 24/7 ? or would I NEED the ethernet access for that?

I dont understand the advantage of the serial port as I performed all the FW updates for my PAB plugbars through USB and all seemed to work well.
    There is none - until all goes right. But if there is a power drop during update, the PL3 system may not come up again - the PL3 is "bricked". The risk for that is there during all firmware updates - it´s a low risk, but it is one.
    If that happens, serial port is the only way to get the PL3 back to life. That´s why we recommend to have the serial cable and a PC with serial port or a converter USB<>RS232 for emergency updates.

Can my server host the profilux webserver if the server has PLC running 24/7 ? or would I NEED the ethernet access for that?
    No. The Profilux webserver is inside the PL3 and only accessible if PL3 is connected via Ethernet cable. However, it´s possible to run PLC 24/7 and send mails via PLC, but not from PL3 directly.

And as said, web functionality aka webserver, PL3 mail and NTP time update is not possible without LAN connection. That´s why I prefer the VAP11G WLAN bridge ....

Thanks for this guys!

I would defo want to run the webserver and I also want to be able to use the profilux app whenand if it comes out.

I will take your advice and rig up that wifi bridge you mentioned.

May as well do this properly and I can still use my belkin for my other devices and for backup access. I will get that usb>rs232 cable too as it sounds like an emergency solution that I hope i will never need but better safe than sorry!