Thread: Using calibration fluid more than once

Default Using calibration fluid more than once

HI guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but a quick search didn't yield any results. When I first set up my P3 I used the calibration fluid (x2) for my ph probe. Time has passed and I am wondering if I can still rely on the calibration fluid. It has been kelp in the dark sealed tightly in their respective bottles.

Do I need to order more fluid, of should I be ok?

Thanks
    Paul

No thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    HI guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but a quick search didn't yield any results. When I first set up my P3 I used the calibration fluid (x2) for my ph probe. Time has passed and I am wondering if I can still rely on the calibration fluid. It has been kelp in the dark sealed tightly in their respective bottles.

Do I need to order more fluid, of should I be ok?

Thanks
    Paul
    Should be fine I'd reuse it

I never reuse it , I use small containers ( like with salifer test kits ) so I waste very little calibration fluid per calibration.

Hmm so one for one against

Quote Originally Posted by Blahenazo View Post
    I never reuse it , I use small containers ( like with salifer test kits ) so I waste very little calibration fluid per calibration.
    Same here.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I re-use it. Multiple times. The ion concentration in the calibration solution is very high (you can check that with a TDS meter) so that minor impurities introduced by the calibration probe wont change the pH significantly. Just make sure you rinse the electrode well before switching the solution; I also try to dry most water on the housing with a paper towel. Also, I do not use a super small container, but one that holds maybe 50-100 ml; that way any impurities dilute even more. Make sure these containers close well when not used.

I once double checked a calibration with a solution that I used for more than one year in a new solution and there was practically no difference.

I saw a higher deviation in accuracy of the pH due to temperature and even direct strong light light. That's why I make sure the cal solutions are at the same temperature as the tank (just put it in the sump for 30 min). The probe itself is installed in a dark corner.

You bought an expensive Profilux3 and then you are going to take the accuracy down by re-using the calibration fluid?
    I want accurate messurments and don't take chances with my expensive aquarium so i always use fresh callibration fluids.
    When you re-use calibrationfluids your Profilux will be less accurate, Period...............