Thread: Profilux Vs. Apex

Default Profilux Vs. Apex

I am considering switching controllers from Apex to Profilux. As you all know this would be a substantial investment. I'm trying to gather more information on what the advantages are for the Profilux over the Apex. And if there are any disadvantages (other than price). In other words pros and cons.

I'm hoping there are some folks, who have gone down this road ahead of me and have used both and can give me some ideas.

Thanks,
    Steve

Nobody???

To be quite honest I would try reef central or another forum like that.
    This forum is run by GHL for Profilux users so probably not to many of us have had APEX computers to make comparisons with it.
    Certainly I have not and no one I know who has profilux machines has!
    The only thing I would say the programming for the APex seems more versatile.
    For the profilux, for each logic statement you can only use two parameters, if you need to use a number of logic steps, you may have to use 2, 3 or more logic statements to complete a multi parameter control with variable outputs. There is also a fixed number of programmable logic statements (32) and if you have multiple systems you could run out quite fast.
    But you may be able to tell us more on how the APEX programming compares.
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

Thanks for the response.

I am a little confused, I am not sure what you mean by "logic satement"? If I am programming for lighting, I would be able to program different ramp and light intensities throughout the day and not just 2?

Hi

You can have up to 8 ramp up and downs (dimming cycles per channel) with the Profilux, this is one of Profilux's big bonuses.

I do not like to do comparisons, it always ends up in some sort of war between users. But I cna let you know anything you wish to know about Profilux. But I think this conversation is better had here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=527

There you will find a number of users that have switched from Apex to ProfiLux for various personal reasons.

I will add one point - You will find the Profilux very inuitive to program you do not need any special code, it is just like using windows based piece of software. You will also have accesss to a massive amount of dedicated accessories designed to work directly with ProfiLux for maximum control and reliability.

Hope to see you over the other side of the Atlantic on RC

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

Thanks, Someone recommended I post here, and I would find some input.

I have posted on RC as well.

Hi

I do not see your post on the GHL forum on RC, I cant answer questions outside of that forum, if you would like to post on the link provided above you will be hitting the USA GHL audience and get a much more accurate reply. Hope that helps

The profilux does seem to do all you need,
    the only issue i see is the software is really lacking.

Can you be a bit more specific in terms of where you see it lacking? Jut for good feedback, as this is one complaint we never really hear. I cant think of an area that the software does not over.

In the customer wishes area you can always note what changes to ProfiLux you would like to see, the brand is very user driven.

Here are some feedback on the current software.
    i do acknowledge that lots of work is being done by GHL to improve it.

#WEB base control very limited, Cant do much other than view.
    #Would like to group probes as currently if you have multipla tanks the probes number is random. so you could end up with Tank one showing, ph 1, redox 2, , Tank two, ph 2 redox 1, etc, etc.
    #remove probes displaying that are not in use.
    #SMS is very limited, cant tell which alarm is triggered, same goes for profilux control. you dont have a idea what has alarmed.
    #SMS- when the power cut is over a messages is received to say power is ok, and others because the probes do not have the correct value. The probes need a few minutes to read correctly the current value. Is it possible to have a delay for SMS module for the probe to read correctly?
    #would like the profilux to store alarms, so you can track them and have a section that shows what alarm is going off.
    Last edited by reef; 29.10.2011 at 00:26.