Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I need?

Default What do I need?

Hi

I am new to aquarium computers and although I have been reading about them I am not 100% sure of what I need.

I would like the computer to check the temperature of my reef tank and control it using the heater and some fans. I would like it to monitor the pH and at a later date also monitor conductivity. I would like it to control some dosing pumps and switch on/off the lights of the tank (metal halides) and the sump (LEDs). I would also want (maybe later on) to be able to remotely access the computer from my phone/laptop to see the measured parameter values and to switch on/ off things if needed. The connection to the router needs to be wireless.

Will a PII plus be able to do all this and if so what bits do I need for remote access and wireless connection to the router?
    If I go for a PIII instead what extra bits do I need?

Thank you for your help

P3 beginner package is your best bet. Speak to Gareth at progressive reef.
    P2 is being phased out

Always at sea;
    Doggydoc

I would like the computer to check the temperature of my reef tank and control it using the heater and some fans.
    For that you need a PL computer (comments later), a propeller control and a propellerbreeze (size depends on tank size) for cooling and one of the powerbars

I would like it to monitor the pH and at a later date also monitor conductivity.

I would like it to control some dosing pumps and switch on/off the lights of the tank (metal halides) and the sump (LEDs). I would also want (maybe later on) to be able to remotely access the computer from my phone/laptop to see the measured parameter values and to switch on/ off things if needed.
    For that you need the PL3 due the PLII has no build in webserver. I would reccomend the PL3ex or the PL3 now and the ex extension kit later ans also the conductivity probe.
    For sockets I would reccomend one or more PAB powerbar due they are the only one which are able to monitor current. For dosing use the dosing units.

The connection to the router needs to be wireless.
    That´s mot possible with pure GHL items. You need an additional access point. I use and reccomend the net-x VAP11G, but any other standard acces point is also o.k.

Will a PII plus be able to do all this and if so what bits do I need for remote access and wireless connection to the router?
    No, as explained above.

P2 is being phased out
    Regardless of that it does not fit the requested: That´s not true. OP2 is still in production and sale
    Last edited by Wirus; 08.10.2011 at 23:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirus View Post
    For that you need a PL computer (comments later), a propeller control and a propellerbreeze (size depends on tank size) for cooling and one of the powerbars

For that you need the PL3 due the PLII has no build in webserver. I would reccomend the PL3ex or the PL3 now and the ex extension kit later ans also the conductivity probe.
    For sockets I would reccomend one or more PAB powerbar due they are the only one which are able to monitor current. For dosing use the dosing units.

That´s mot possible with pure GHL items. You need an additional access point. I use and reccomend the net-x VAP11G, but any other standard acces point is also o.k.

No, as explained above.

Regardless of that it does not fit the requested: That´s not true. OP2 is still in production and sale
    Dude that was MY OPINION. I was under the impression that P2 was NOT being produced any longer...but then again why even give an opinion.

Always at sea;
    Doggydoc

Thank you very much to both for your responses, they are extremely helpful. I will have to go for a PIII then.
    Thanks again.

Hi Wirus

I have been looking at the PAB bar and the digital plug bar. Is there any difference in what they can do at the moment? I know they connect to different places and it says that it is "envisaged" that the PAB bar can be used for monitoring power consumption but right now, is there a difference?

Thank you very much for your help

is there a difference?
    PAB bar is
    • only for PL3 (no possibility to connect it to PLII)
    • able to measure current (6D is not)
    • upgradeable (Firmware) (6D is not)
    • cascade-able up to 64 sockets (PLII+6D=24)

I see it is definitely worth spending the extra money on the PAB one.

Thank you very much Wirus.

Thank you very much. This looks like a very good offer. Do you (or anybody else) know if this is available in the UK? I have asked in a UK forum where the distributors provide support and information but no response yet.

Cheers