Thread: Lightning storm sounds and setup

Default Lightning storm sounds and setup

Hi all,

I am lookkng to setup lightning storm on a GHL using 4 X GHL full weather Sim U Stick and a ATI Dimmable light unit. I can see the setting for doing this and it works OK but what I want to find out is has anyone added the sound to this feature? I can see it on this you tube clip. - http://youtu.be/PMqujhdQ7zc
    It says he has an ipod on a ipod dock - but how can this be controlled? I assume when the storm is on you can turn on one of the power circuits. How can this work if it just powers on the dock?

Any help would be appreciated. - Or if there is a link I am missing please let me know.

Andrew

Ireland

I'm not sure who did that one or how they did it but here is a link (2x) to his demonstration:

http://youtu.be/vFvxpYdkjQo

http://youtu.be/jF2mQLyd7dY

He has his ipod "Speakers" on a socket that's turned ON by the initiation of the thunderstorm. The actual sound (aka thunder sound clip) is on his ipod or other audio device that's always ON and looping the clip. When the Thunderstorm is activated the "Socket" for the speakers is turned ON and then the sound comes on. Pretty simple and very effective.

Thanks for the response. Them links make it much easier to understand.

I am attempting this next week on a customer tanks so I think I can have it all sorted. Just need to get a Ipod dock and ipod to make it all run. I am sure these are cheap enough these days.

I will post to let you know how i got on.

Andrew

Interested.
    Post after doing so. Have an old iPod around that I can put it to use.

Always at sea;
    Doggydoc

Ok I have got everything running as it should be - but still I can not get the sound working. I have the plugbar socket turning on during a thunderstorm which turns on the ipod doc but this will not auto play.... I assume a unit is needed that has auto play on power up to make this work.

has anyone worked out a way to make this happen for the sound file to play on power up of a ipod dock? - Big Al I looked over how your guy did it but how do you keep a charge on the ipod doing the loop...... Is this by pluging the ipod on power on the loop and not docking the ipod - but plugging into a AUX port ? Think this might work - I'll investigate further

I'll take some pictures of the setup when I am back at the site next if others are interested.
    Last edited by ballabooyeah; 24.11.2011 at 13:37.

Please do. I am def interested.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ballabooyeah View Post
    Ok I have got everything running as it should be - but still I can not get the sound working. I have the plugbar socket turning on during a thunderstorm which turns on the ipod doc but this will not auto play.... I assume a unit is needed that has auto play on power up to make this work.

has anyone worked out a way to make this happen for the sound file to play on power up of a ipod dock? - Big Al I looked over how your guy did it but how do you keep a charge on the ipod doing the loop...... Is this by pluging the ipod on power on the loop and not docking the ipod - but plugging into a AUX port ? Think this might work - I'll investigate further

I'll take some pictures of the setup when I am back at the site next if others are interested.
    Gareth has the ipod on a socket that's always on (possibly a wall outlet) so it's always playing on "Loop". The speakers are what's on a controlled outlet. When the storms "engages" the speaker outlet comes on giving the speakers their power and WHAMO you have thunder.

Here is a thread we have going of an alternate idea of a unit that would be smaller, consume less electricity and possibly have more flexibility in the "type/duration" of thunder.
    http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/sh...le-for-Thunder

Until we can get an alternate method figured out we'll have to use the method you're trying to implement now.

I think all you're lacking is the ipod is on a constant ON socket and the speakers (desktop PC type of larger) have to require power to make sound and they will be on a controlled socket.