Thread: How to switch 2 water valves with one level-control

Default How to switch 2 water valves with one level-control

I have set a maximumlevelcontrol in my aquarium. If the water level reaches that maximum the water valve will close.

But now I want to use two water valves, one for normal water and one for osmose and when the water reaches the maximum level I want to close both water valves, how do I do this.

I am using a Profilux III with the later firmware 5.10 and Profilux Control 5.1
    Last edited by Jan Broere; 18.09.2011 at 09:01.

No one can help me?

Still nobody who can help me?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Broere View Post
    I have set a maximumlevelcontrol in my aquarium. If the water level reaches that maximum the water valve will close.

But now I want to use two water valves, one for normal water and one for osmose and when the water reaches the maximum level I want to close both water valves, how do I do this.

I am using a Profilux III with the later firmware 5.10 and Profilux Control 5.1
    What do you mean by "normal" water? Do you have photos of your current setup with the one valve.

If you turning them on and off at the same time? I would just plug them into the same socket with an adapter.

If you want them turned off and on, independently and with some kind of logic, you need to tell us what the intention is on how you would like them to operate at all times?
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

I trie to answer the questions more clearly:

I have a discus-aquarium with 1.000 ltrs and a biological filter under this aquarium with 200ltrs.

I have configured an automatic water change. Every 3 hours my water pump in the biological filter stops pumping for 1 minute (done by the profilux 3/timer 1) I wanted 1,5 minutes, but this timer can only work with minutes??

During that minute water is coming down from the aquarium to the biological filter, water level in the biological filter rises, but the overflow goes directly to the waste.

After that minute the pump starts again and at the same time the fresh water starts to flow into the biological filter. After 5 minutes the level is as high as before the pump stopped for one minute. (At this point I have renewed about 20 ltrs water.

If during the active fresh waterperiod the level of water in the aquarium goes beyond this level, the valve stops the water. (All checked and works fine)

Because I'am also checking the conductivity (has to be around uS 300) this value will be higher after every 3-hours water change. Then a second valve for osmosewater starts and now osmosewater is coming into the biological filter, as long as the u$ is > 300. This water flow is much smaller than the fresh water flow, but there is still water coming in and I want to program the profilux 3 to stop this water-valve also when the level in the aquarium is going beyond the level installed for freshwater.

Until now I didn't succeed in getting this on.

That's going to be complicated, there is no easy solution for your approach. The main problem is that you essentially trying to combine two independent control loops: one that controls the top off and the second one that controls the conductivity.

I would suggest that you top off with both valves open, tap water and RO water, and adjust the flow of the tap water, so that he mixing product will have approximately your target conductivity. That way, the top off control loop will not cause a large conductivity increase. Any remaining deviation will be taken care off by the second loop that only switches the conductivity valve.

You have to use programmable logic to switch the same valve (number two) by two independent control loops.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hempi23 View Post
    That's going to be complicated, there is no easy solution for your approach. The main problem is that you essentially trying to combine two independent control loops: one that controls the top off and the second one that controls the conductivity.
    Yes and No. The conductivity is controlled by the settings of the conductivity-sheet. The only thing I want is when water level becomes higher than settings for the level, the second valve also stops.

And yes I think that programmable logic is the solution, but i don't know how to set this. Input 1 has to be conductivity, but input 2...?????

It is only for security reasons, because without this level-control nothing wants wrong, EXCEPT one weekend we were away and then I had about 100 liters over the floor. Until now I don't know how this could happen.

Fresh water flows only after i have left about 20 liters to the waist. But osmose is going on for one or sometimes two hours. This water flow is very low. I think the daily maximum is about 120 liters, so every hour is only 5 liters. Normally a higher level will leave the system by the overflow in the biological filter.
    Last edited by Jan Broere; 02.11.2011 at 20:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Broere View Post
    And yes I think that programmable logic is the solution, but i don't know how to set this. Input 1 has to be conductivity, but input 2...?????
    You can do that, just connect input 1 as conductivity decrease and input 2 as water fill with logic AND. Than assign that logic function to the socket that is switching the second valve.

First I was under the impression that you wanted better mixing of RO and normal water without wasting RO. Did you not say that there is an overflow in the sump? Than you shouldn't have a flood by adding more water than needed. Maybe something else is causing the leak, for example the sensor may work properly, or you are adding water faster than it can drain though the overflow, maybe even a possible leak ... Water on the floor is a really bad thing. You want to find out what the cause was.