Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New web interface for ProfiLux 3 coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Are you guys aware of how insecure using a proxy is? Not only are usernames and passwords probably logged and stored but why would you risk messing around with a life support system through one - there are some real technical issues with that.

Equally if you look at the current web interface is uses standard javascript ajax, so "if you were" (and I don't recommend it) going to use one you would need to ensure it supported javascript - some do some don't.

I wonder what is making you use a proxy - are you running your external IP's through a non standard web port? ie not port 80? Or is it a problem with an IP or domain name restriction?

There has to be a better option...

ps. hope your not buying things online or banking through a proxy!
    even using the 'normal' http port of the webserver across the net is insecure. (that's why I don't longer use the web console ) except for emergency => if I login with admin account , in the evening I change the pwd directly.

I would use the proxy to coupe with the http only support of the webserver , https to proxy and from proxy (internalnetwork ) in http to profilux.
    for the record : technically that isn't even called proxying but reversed proxy

vpn is not always handy to do configuration.
    Last edited by Blahenazo; 24.05.2011 at 19:37.

I only use the Guest Account on the webinterface even when I use my proxy, never the Admin....... so if somebody is "sniffing" my password, he/she can only look at my aquarium status, not change anything.
    Just give us SSL on the Profilux, just like the webserver from my UPS. But i don't think that this is a great priority at GHL.
    The have so many things to build and so little time............

even using the 'normal' http port of the webserver across the net is insecure. (that's why I don't longer use the web console ) except for emergency => if I login with admin account , in the evening I change the pwd directly.

Couldnt agree more!
    Last edited by fletch; 25.05.2011 at 02:24.

Quote Originally Posted by mdanielse View Post
    I only use the Guest Account on the webinterface even when I use my proxy, never the Admin....... so if somebody is "sniffing" my password, he/she can only look at my aquarium status, not change anything.
    Just give us SSL on the Profilux, just like the webserver from my UPS. But i don't think that this is a great priority at GHL.
    The have so many things to build and so little time............
    Https has been discussed before on this forum and complexities aside for generating csr and installing certificates the not so IT literate individuals, the nuts and bolts of it was this isnt a PC and has limited RAM.

Also I think remote access is for observation and changes should be done at home where you can keep an eye on those changes - who uses the PC app at work? Not many... Imagine the risks of remote changes - you half way through and router is playing up, or your ip changes, wouldnt be the first time!

The benefits are still masdive and the Mac users would love it too!

We will see what the new Webinterface will bring us. If you can adjust more settings in the new webinterface than in the old one, GHL have to do something about the security to, otherwise it does not make any sense to offer the Profilux these websettings capability's.

As much as I would like to see build in support for SSL, it’s been already proven that the processor and ram that the profilux3 was fitted with was to small the extra load, heck it has a hard time handling standard lan communication.

It's already easy enough to secure the Profilux with existent security appliance…

will the Iphone option need to be run through a third party server or is this now stand alone?

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

stand alone by the looks of it... it's a new set of web interface

Quote Originally Posted by boboxx View Post
    As much as I would like to see build in support for SSL, it’s been already proven that the processor and ram that the profilux3 was fitted with was to small the extra load, heck it has a hard time handling standard lan communication.

It's already easy enough to secure the Profilux with existent security appliance…
    anyway P4 must have SSL support then

Quote Originally Posted by aqua_digital View Post
    will the Iphone option need to be run through a third party server or is this now stand alone?
    This is a browser based application that is on safari on the iPhone, not an "iPhone App" and doesn't support multiple Profilux - I presume as cross domain AJAX is prohibited in most browsers.