Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ORP readings fluctuating.........

sorry, I ran out of ideas

I can offer you that we check the equipment here on our test tank

but I am quite convinced that we won't be able to produce the same problems as you have, I still think there is a source of interferences somewhere in or nearby your tank
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

If I might interject here, I noticed two key points in this thread that are of interest.

1.) Disconnecting the Com lead from S1-4 seems to impact the results of the reading
    2.) Shock occurs when connection is made from probe to sump/tank.

This makes me strongly suspect an electrical problem. I have in some cases, seen electrical outlets that were not grounded correctly, or wired strangely (Line and neutral reversed, open ground/earth, or some odd combination). In these instances current that would normally travel to ground may be going through un-intended equipment. My own experience is limited to North American power outlets however, this may differ in your location.

This can also occur if salt has contaminated outlets, allowing for weak amounts of current to flow where it shouldnt.

I think some further examination of the outlets where the Profilux and the power bar are connected is warranted. IE: are they both connected to the same circuit?

Does this problem still occur with the power bar connected, but with no devices connected to the power bar at all? What if you connect just the dosing pump?

Is there a Ground/Earth probe in the Tank/sump to capture stray voltage?

I had similar case with unearthed RS232 connector on a laptop and in particular the use of serial to USB adapters.

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

An old thread of mine but one that is still causing me headaches, lol.

But, I was browsing though some other threads and came across this....

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    We found out that all issues with bad probe readings (in most cases redox, in rare cases pH and cond.) had been produced through other devices or bad probes, as far as I know all issues had been solved.
    In my opinion an isolator is pointless, for this this reason the development and production (which costs a lot of money initially) hasn`t a high priority anymore at the moment.

This could help:
    - if the probe is defective (too old) replace it
    - if you have an ungrounded ProfiLux power supply the use of a grounded power supply may help to eliminate the interferences from the Tunze pumps (the latest ProfiLux are shipped with a grounded PSU as standard in order to get rid of problems with noise from 3rd party products)
    I have found that by grounding my Profilux, not on purpose but by having the USB lead connected to a PC which is grounded the fault goes away, so it looks like I need a grounded PSU to fix my fault.

Are you able to supply one guys or should I contact Steve here in the UK.

Thanks

ps, Steve will be pleased as I have borrowed his P3 to eliminate the unit, he can have it back now. (hopefully the PSU will fix my fault)

pps, as Matthias knows I am running VorTechs, so this could be the source of the 'noise'.

I think Steve has these PSUs as spare parts
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Thanks Matthias, just a thought, does the new PSU actually ground the Profilux, or is it just the PSU that's grounded?

the PSU is grounded, and this ground is then connected over the DC-wire with the ProfiLux

Ok, thanks, I'll wait to get a new PSU and report back.

Quick update Matthias, the grounded PSU has fixed this.