Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ORP readings fluctuating.........

Default ORP readings fluctuating.........

Ok, so my ORP reading is fluctuating wildly, in a mug of tank water though it is stable and accurate.(reads 290 ish)

What have I tried so far................

Tank water earthed through a titanium wire(checked for continuity too, to the earth on the house wiring).
    Switched off everything electrical on the tank bar the Profilux.
    Replaced the psu for the Profliux
    Tried the probe in the main display
    Disconnected the temp probe
    Disconnected the pH probe
    Disconnected the VorTech PAB box
    Disconnected the battery back up on the VorTechs

Now if I unplug the comms lead from S1/S4 (which goes to my plugbar & then doser), the reading goes up to 260 ish and is relatively stable, I don't know what else to try, any ideas guys.

Thanks

In such cases we generally recommend to unplug one device after the other until the value stabilizes. We understood that this is the case when you unplug the Powerbar. So please connect the Powerbar again and unplug each device from the sockets until you have found the probably defective device.
    Another reason could be that your power supply unit is not working properly anymore. Perhaps you have the possibility to try another one?

You can also try to turn the power connector of your power bar by 180° (not possible in all countries - depending on plug style)

Quote Originally Posted by Carolin View Post
    In such cases we generally recommend to unplug one device after the other until the value stabilizes. We understood that this is the case when you unplug the Powerbar.
    Although the value increases the reading doesn't fully stabilise, I see an increase in the ORP value when the plug bar is disconnected.

So please connect the Powerbar again and unplug each device from the sockets until you have found the probably defective device.
    I've now tried the above and the problem still persists.

Another reason could be that your power supply unit is not working properly anymore. Perhaps you have the possibility to try another one?
    I have a spare psu which I have tried on the PIII, I have also tried it on the doser and the problem is still apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirus View Post
    You can also try to turn the power connector of your power bar by 180° (not possible in all countries - depending on plug style)
    Hiya, not possible here in the UK, we have 3 pin plugs.

Any more ideas, thanks....

Is the illumination maybe the source of interferences?
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Is the illumination maybe the source of interferences?
    Hi Matthias, I don't believe it is the source, with everything switched off and unplugged the problem is still apparent.

For info I have a PIII, 3 pump doser, 6 socket digi plug bar (connected to S1/S4), 4 socket analogue bar (S5/S8) 2 simu spots, 1 simu stick (L1/L2 with a active driver), dimming T5's (L3/L4), plus the pH, temp & ORP probes.
    I also have a PAB VorTech controller.

With all the equipment on the tank off, the plugs out of the plugbar so just the PIII powered the problem is still there.

And the lamps are off during your test? If not, please unpower also the lamps.

We had some cases in the past where ballasts or tubes or lamps caused this kind of problems.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Yes, the lights are off and unplugged, still the same.

so, the summary is this:

- you measure in a mug of water a stable value
    - the value is fluctuating if the probe is in the tank - even when ALL equipment related to the tank is unplugged (unpowered)
    - the AC/DC has been replaced already

?

Yes, correct,

I have measured the voltage in the water with a multimeter with the pH & ORP probes out of the water and get a zero reading, with either probe in the water I get a reading, I take it the probes send out a voltage to gain a reading for the Profilux.

Now this may have no bearing on the problem I have but if I put the probe in a mug of water, then put my finger in the mug with my other hand in the tank I get a small shock??
    Don't ask how I found this out!!