Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone attempted to connect Meanwell ELN-60-48P drivers to an LED Control4 ?

Default Has Anyone attempted to connect Meanwell ELN-60-48P drivers to an LED Control4 ?

Tinkering with an LED Control 4 (Passive) tonight, and trying to get it to fire up a Meanwell ELN-60-48P driver with no luck. Curious if anyone has any idea if they are compatible or if I'll need to build another circuit to make them talk nicely to each other.

This is the driver in question:

http://www.meanwell.com/search/eln-60/eln-60-spec.pdf

Driver is verified wired correctly for the LED's and power (driver will power up, and the LED string will get the typical discharge flash when it loses power), however I can't seem to get any PWM control.

LEDControl4 module is connected to L1L2, White wire (Dim -) off the driver is connected to Pin 1 of the connector, Blue wire (Dim +) is connected to Pin 2.

Any thoughts? I can't seem to locate much technical info other then the datasheet I posted above.

Thanks in advance,

G.
    Last edited by TheManicFishkeeper; 05.04.2011 at 04:56.

It seems there is no open collector compatible input at this module.
    You may need a pullup resistor from Dim+ to 10V.

Thats what I thought, time for a visit to my local electronics supplier! Thanks for the response.

G.

Quick question, and don't feel obligated to answer...

I can easily build the pullup resistor circuit, but I am still learning here. I'm assuming I should provide an external source for V+ to achieve the operating voltage of 10V as shown in your diagram:

Now, given that V+ is provided externally, where would I wire V- from the external power source? to the Dim- on the driver? I know I am missing something. I'm asuming that the pull down resistor in the circuit will limit the current from impacting the LEDControl4 but want to make sure.

I'm not an electrician, just like to build my own stuff, so bear with me, I do apologize.

This is what I was thinking, but I am not 100% sure about the V- at 10V

if the 10V come from an external PSU then the above picture is right (in this case you have + and - from the PSU)

if the 10V come from the Meanwell driver you don`t need the connection to -
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Thank you sir, you're a life saver!

I was planning on using an external source as I am not sure as to how I could tie into the meanwell driver. I already have several 10V PSU's available to me that I would nomally use for analog 1-10v control I can simply use to power the pull-up resistor circuit.

Do you think a 47k resisitor is overkill (as opposed to a 10k)? I dont want too much current flowing through the LEDControl4.

It depends on the input resistance or current draw of the control inputs.

Well guys, I owe you both a huge thank you.

Tinkered with the rig tonight and got it working. I seem to have found the best dimming/responsiveness using a 2.2k resistor (using anything higher resulted in a significantly lower mA output on the LED string) and a 10v 500ma power supply, and now have the full range of dimming (that the driver supports) with flashes/lightning!

Couldn't have done it without your insight, it is very much much appreciated.

Here is a video of the lightning test run, still have some tweaking to do as the drivers cant dim below 10% so they cut off prematurely, but this is a Meanwell PWM thing and is well documented.

The next phase of this build is an audio controller with 2 functions, 1.) Playing Rain audio for the duration of the thunderstorm 2.) Playing audible thunder following each flash.

I already have the computer built for this, and will probably have the audio working by wednesday (latest). The Profilux code for the thunder speakers is quite simple (just need to add a "delayed off" to the outlet that will power the thunder speakers to compensate for the speaker power up delay)

Glad to help you!

I am really impressed, you did a great job!
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.