Thread: Dimming Issues With Aquamedic T5s

Default Dimming Issues With Aquamedic T5s

Please would someone help me with what I assume is a setting issue on the Profilux.

It is a Profilux 3 with Firmware 5.05f

I am trying to dim an AquaMedic pendant with 8 x T5s. The ballasts are dali dimmable ballasts, installed by the supplier. They were run in for 100 hours before attempting dimming.

On the Profilux, I have setup an illumination programme as follows:
    Illumination 1: 08h00 - 10h00 0% / 100%
    Illumination 2: 08h30 - 10h30 0% / 100%
    Illumination 3: 09h00 - 11h00 0% / 100%
    Illumination 4: 09h30 - 11h30 0% / 100%

If I manually check the dimming, it works perfectly. The programmed dimming to black at night also works perfectly.

The issue I am having is when they first switch on. The first two T5s (controlled by "Illumination 1") switch on at 08h00 (see above). At 08h00, these two T5s switch on at 100% and then immediately dim to 1%. The same thing applies with Illumination 2, 3 & 4. So at 08h00, there is a bright flash, as well as at 08h30, then 09h00 and finaly at 09h30, as each Illumination programme starts.

How do I sort this out? Obviously as it is, there is no point having dimmable ballasts!

Thanks for the help

Looks like your lamp also switch the ballasts. If you switch power to a DALI ballast, it starts always with 100% and goes down as commanded via DALI. That´s not a behavior of the Profilux but one of the ballasts. This was discussed here some weeks ago - only solution is to always have power at ballast inputs.

FYI: In difference to 1-10V dimming DALI is able to switch off lamps completely - so the power consumption for off time is very low

I should have said, that I also purchased a Dali module for the Profilux.

I am not sure what you mean by "Looks like your lamp also switch the ballasts". Do I understand you correctly, that contolling through the Dali module, it will always start at 100%?

I should have said, that I also purchased a Dali module for the Profilux.
    Thas was clear for me.

Do I understand you correctly, that contolling through the Dali module, it will always start at 100%?
    No. If you control via DALI you can regulate between 0% and 100% and also switch off light (which is 0%)
    But when you power on a DALI ballast, it starts always with 100% due it takes a little time to get and process the control messages - that´s why your lighs flashes.

OK I understand you. What then is the point in selling a system that dims ballasts, which in fact, it doesn't? I might as well just switch the tubes on and off and save myself a whole lot of money!

it could be solved if your ballasts are always powered ?

do you use extra timers or sockets to poweroff your pendant completely ? or LBF ghl modules ?
    if so just don't use them and let DALI manage this.

do you know the brand of the ballasts?

what does Aqua Medic say to this issue?
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

They are Osram dual dali ballasts.

Aqua Medic have not had any issues with the pendant, or the ballasts. The supplier who sold me the Profilux and the Aqua Medic, has sold this configuration many times before without any issues.

As Blahenazo said: if you switch off the DALI ballasts completely (with a powerbar for example) the lamps start at 100% until a DALI command is received.
    If no DALI connected (no DALI commands received) the DALI lamp also stays at 100%.
    This is no ProfiLux issue, this is the behavior of DALI lamps.
    The only way to avoid this is: make sure the DALI ballasts powered all the time.