Thread: LedControl4 Passive - dimming

Default LedControl4 Passive - dimming

I am owner of 2 x PacificSun BP 160W Slave + GHL LEDContorl4 Pasiive + Profilux II plus. I have some issue when dimming with this controller. It is not fully smooth. I clearly see the difference between levels. Why? When connected to Master lamp, I see lighting intensity to bee fully smooth. Where is the problem? Is it Profilux or Controller issue?

Hi

the signal goes this path: in the ProfiLux the digital PWM signal to analog 1-10V, the LEDControl converts the 1-10V back to PWM and controls the Pacific Sun

possibly there are some losses in this whole signal path

we examine if there is a way to improve this behavior
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Thank You. If you need more data, let me know.

OK, I checked this: I have on my private tank 8 groups of LEDs and they are controlled by LEDControl4.
    I wasn't able to see that there is a problem with the dimming steps, even when activating a strong cloud simulation I never had the impression that the illumination not smooth enough.

As I told earlier, due to the analog signal path we have 256 dimming steps, maybe PS has more because they directly output the PWM from their built-in controller.

As a comparison. DALI (digital adressable lighting interface) has a resolution of approx. 160 steps, and many LED-lamp manufacturers have also 256 steps.

-> that means: we can't change this because of the physical limitations here, but in my opinion this is not really an issue
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Maby it's not issue. I was just comparing how profilux and master lamp dim, and saw the difference. I'm curious - why this limitation? Seems like 8-bit addressing. Has Profilux III the same number of dimming steps?

I just received information, that PS BP has 10-bit resolution, so theoreticaly there are 1024 dimming levels, but in practice we have 1000 levels.
    Last edited by premiero; 28.03.2011 at 21:38.