Thread: [SOLVED] PLC6 won't load

Default [SOLVED] PLC6 won't load

Windows 7 64bit
    PIIIex latest firmware (since yesterday)
    PLC 6012

There was originally a normal connection. I was changing units on the salinity probe screen (to density), and the program crashed. I tried to save. I tried to quit. I closed the program. I tried to reload the program, but it stalls after the initial splash screen. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it. Still the same thing. I tried to unplug and replug the USB cable, no luck.

Any help?

PS ... Is there any way that the terminology for all the socket functions can all be translated to English when the English language option is selected? Many of them remain in German ...

Some more info...

I can run as many instances of PLC6 as I want. Multiple instances show up in the system tray, except I just cannot get any of them to display. Also, when restarting Win7, a quick dialog box opens and then rapidly closes with a title .NET or something. Then each instance of PLC6 closes (even though the window for PLC6 never opens after the splash screen) ...

Help ...

I had a similar problem with an earlier version (6.0.0.8).
    In the end I deleted the hidden folder ( Unhide hidden folders in folder options)
    C:\ProgramData\GHL GmbH & Co KG\.
    I went through and hand removed all references to Profilux and GHL from the registry.
    Reinstalled a new version and all worked correctly.
    I note that even after I used the uninstall program, it did not remove all registry items and it did not remove the program data folder above.
    I get very annoyed with programs that do not uninstall correctly, but unfortunately programs that do, are in the very low minority.

Thanks guys. I erased the folder in question, uninstalled PLC6, and reinstalled. Connection largely works now but is very flakey. The connection spontaneously disconnects within minutes. I read stuff about this on the forum, but in my case, the connection was working fine via USB before I started having this problem. I have been using the Prolific driver without any connection issues. Perhaps I need to delete the registry entries, uninstall, then reinstall?

PLC6 itself should not write ANY data to the registry. If you find any data from PLC6 in your registry, please write me a PM with the registry path.

PLC5 did. PLC6 not - to keep it portable.

Solved the secondary problem by switching to COM port 1 from COM port 5. I thought my days of IRQ issues were over

The primary problem above was solved by erasing the directory in question under users/appdata ...

So i will mark this as solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias-Steffen View Post
    So i will mark this as solved.
    Ah Matthias-Steffen,
    Personally I would still consider this a bug or problem, as the program crashed and you can not recover from the issue unless you know how to get access to the folders we have had to delete.
    The un-install needs to remove ALL damaged files folders etc. So a clean install can be carried out and then it will operate normally again.
    Or find out what file is being damaged and develop a utility to purge this file that normal users can just click on to get back to a normal operation.
    Most people that are operating the Beta, I would suspect are above your normal average users and as you are aware you need to program to the lowest denominator.

In Christchurch NZ, Shaken and Stirred but I am OK!
    Tank has now survived a 7.1 and a 6.3 with vertical earth movement at 2 times gravity.
    But my carpets are soaked through.
    Last edited by Antipodes; 28.02.2011 at 20:37. Reason: Spelling