Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED fixture hookup with Profilux 3EX PAB

Default LED fixture hookup with Profilux 3EX PAB

I want to buy a controller to manage automatic transition from sunrise to sunset on my DIY LED lighting system.

I have been through many threads trying to get an understanding of how I would wire 15 Meanwell 60-48D drivers (these are dimable) to the Profilux 3 controller to give me the most flexibility. The only advice I could get so far was a suggestion I buy additional PLM-4L expansion cards and hook the Meanwell’s to them.

What I really need is a clear picture/diagram that shows where the AC on the Meanwell’s will hook up to and if the DC out that currently goes to my LED's has some necessary additional wiring too. The outlets on the PLM-4L don't look like power outlets so I am confused? I really want to be confident that the Profilux 3Ex PAB can do what I need before I spend this much money?

I think the Meanwell drivers can be connected to AC permanently, this has nothing to do with The ProfiLux. If you want you can cut the AC main power supply with a ProfiLux powerbar.

The L-ports are control outputs only (1-10V)

To make the wiring easier (the L-ports have modular plugs) you can use the item LBF-AP
    http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Syst...cessories.html
    then you have screw terminals for you 2 x 2 control wires (2 channels, + and -)
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

But how many L ports does he need ? (in the past it was rated @ 3 per L port ? ) so at least 5 ports.

Default Setup

My lighting system has 15 Meanwell dimmable drivers (each one controlling between 8 to 10 LED’s), my idea was to be able to program each driver individually so I can combine reds, blue and white creating a more realistic sunset/sunrise not just have all whites or blues combined come on and go off slowly.

I was given three scenarios which is why I am confused.

Option 1. L1/L2 connected to YL2 Splitter connected to LBF-AP connected to 2 Meanwell drivers.

I don't understand why it needs the YL2 splitter, why can't the L1/L2 connect to the LBF-AP and this connect to the two Meanwells?

Also I assume the only need for the LBF-AP is a Mathias say's its it easy to hook up to the L1/L2. If I wanted to crimp cable I can connect two Meanwells directly to L1/L2 and I could do away with the LBF-AP control board too, is this correct?

Options 2. L1/L2 connected to Active splitter connected to LBF-AP each LBF-AP connected to 2 Meanwell drivers.

Option 3. buy 3 additional PLM-4L connect 4 Meanwells to each L1/L2 etc.

my head is spinning!

you are right with all - you don't need a splitter for the LBF-AP

if you are able to crimp western cables then you don't even need the LBF-AP

buy PLM-4L: makes sense if you need more separate channels
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Thank you Matthius,

Sorry for spelling your name incorrectly in the previous link!

I contacted your distributor in Spain (Coralleida) and they recommended the following set up. I believe I will need three not two PLM-4L, as i have said before I want to control:

15 dimmers separately.
    GHL flash lightening
    ph
    Redox
    Conductivity
    4 Tunze pumps

Here is his recommendations:

• ProfiLux 3
    • Expansion Box
    • 2 PLM-4L
    • 1 Conductivity platinum saltwater probe
    • 1 Redox probe
    • 1 pH probe
    • Calibration fluids: pH9, pH7, Redox 220mV and Conductivity 50mS
    • 8 LBF-AP
    • 1 PAB cable 3m to connect ProfiLux to the Expansion Box

You will notice he recommends I buy the standard Profilux not the EX which I did not understand at first and have asked him to clarify this. I believe its because he recommends an expansion box for the additional PLM-4L's and figures I can hook the probes and level sensor to the expansion box rather than the Profilux 3 box, do you agree?. However my intention is also to buy your LED for flash lightening and for this I think I need the Profilux EX? (in fairness to him I did not tell him about this when i asked his recommendation).

I believe I will need 3 PLM-4L expansion cards so I will have to get at least one expansion box as I want to also control my Tunze pumps with the Profilux, can you advise how many expansion cards (L1/L2 expansion cards) can be installed in one expansion box?

Also when looking at the L1/L2 port can you tell me which are the positive and negative terminals from left to right. I asssume it goes from left to right something like L1 +/- L2 +/-

Anyway thanks to you and Lluís at Coralleida it's starting to be much clearer for me.
    Last edited by Chinaexpat; 17.12.2010 at 08:39.

Is it true that there is only one model in the Profilux 3. The User Manual I downloaded refers to a base model and an EX model and specifically mentions features that are only available on the EX version?

There is
    a Profilux 3
    a Profilux 3 EX
    an upgrade kit to enhance a Profilux 3 to a Profilux 3 EX
    So all is possibe

Default Profilux 3 vs 3EX

This is what the distributor in Spain said:

"Remember what I told to you: ProfiLux 3 normal version and eX versions are exactly the same with features"

I think it would be a good idea for GHL to post a comparison chart of the base model and the EX model as they have done with PF2!!!

Actually it seems very difficult to get clear information or even a manual in English that properly explains the features. Maybe GHL should hire a professional service to do this and this may eliminate a large portions of these questions?
    Last edited by Chinaexpat; 20.12.2010 at 09:24.

"Remember what I told to you: ProfiLux 3 normal version and eX versions are exactly the same with features"
    No. EX has two more 1-10V ports, one more level port, a REDOX port and a conductivity port (for sea or fresh water).

I think it would be a good idea for GHL to post a comparison chart of the base model and the EX model as they have done with PF2!!!
    Such a chart exists on main GHL page for years

http://aquariumcomputer.com/System__...ontroller.html

BTW: @GHL: Maybe you guys should remove the WLAN option in that chart due it´s outdated.
    Or give a hint like: "WLAN possible with an external Access Point at LAN connector"
    Last edited by Wirus; 20.12.2010 at 10:00.