Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Profilux modification

Default Vortex Profilux modification

I am looking at upgrading my tunze pumps to the to the Vortech MP40 to get better flow however i would like then on the profilux. I understand at the moment profilux cannot control the Vortech pumps normally.

However i was thinking of modifying the Vortech to take the 1-10V signal.
    Re modification for Neptune Aquasurf.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

my question is

1. Does the 0-10V come from the Profilux it profilux provides power.
    if this is the case then the no power required from vortech.

or is it like the AS controler and i would require to take power from the vortech as the profilux is varing voltage by restance to regulate the 0-10V?

this is extremely interesting since we have many customer requests relating to this topic!

I think it is possible. The ProfiLux L-ports have these signals:

Pin Function Color
    1 +12V Black
    2 Dimming intensity channel 1 Brown
    3 GND Red
    4 On/off channel 1 (relay control) Orange
    5 Dimming intensity channel 2 Yellow
    6 On/off channel 2 (relay control) Green

I think you don`t need 4 and 6, these signals are used to switch the relays for fluorescent ballasts

Please keep us informed about your progress! Keep careful during the modding...we don't want a broken ProfiLux or Vortech controller...

Thanks matthis, i prefer not to break either. i work on the principal many questions first, check twice and do once. !!!!

From the modification i need to ensure no more then 3.5V get to the vortech as that is the control range of 0-3.5v which i am planning on 0-3.4v as a little saftey margin.

From your reply pin 2 and 5 are the dimming channel, from my understanding are they 1-11v control signal, or are they just the regulator dry voltage, in which case i would need to get the 11.8v from the vortex as per the DIY and pot 11.8V from the vortex to pin 1 and then take the signal from pin 2 & 5

If you know a little of electronics, just built a op amp circuit.

The circuit job is to translate 1-10 to 0-3.5.
    I use to built these circuits a long time ago, i know it was cheap to make.

Use these boards to control the circuit. The relays are built it. You be able to turn off the power to the Vortech by using these boards without using a socket.
    I am planning to use these on my LED Project that I am about to do.

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Down...G-AP2_V400.pdf

Very clean way to start the project.
    Last edited by Luisagos; 13.05.2009 at 11:18.

I had thought about using these, however i was not sure how the relays would go switching on an off all the time.

The circuit i was planning on using was like this.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ic/voldiv.html

Which is a voltade divder so if the voltage i need is 3.4V and the profilux will give 1-10v then at maximium using a R1 as 62kohm and 32kohm(20+12kohm) will give me a voltage maximium of 3.4v to the vortech controller also going to use tight tolerance resistors 1%.
    I just need to make sure that the control (dimiming control is the 1-10v) positive power.

I think you only need 2 (or 5) and 3 = GND
    dimming control is positive (0V ... +10V) with respect to GND
    you can set the lower output voltage in ProfiLux to 0V
    -> a simple voltage divider with 2 resistors will do the job
    I think you need not the relay signal

I'm also replacing my two Tunze 6100's with Vortech MP40's ( I get them tomorrow )- And would love to see someone successfully implement some type of interface for the Vortechs.

I will definitely be watching this thread for progress.

Good Luck!

Thanks Matthias,

This is what is was thinking, i just wanted to make sure. So i will only need to wire up 2 and 3 pin for one vortech and 5 and 3 for the other. Using this simple resistor circuit to give me control.

I will let you know how i go.

If I wanted to use an Op-Amp to reduce it to 0-3.5 volts do I just bend up the middle pin on the pot and use that? I would be using the original non wireless controller. Is that all I would have to do?

Matthias,

At this point I think t would be very helpful for you to give everyone some very basic information in regards to when the GHL Vortech controller will be released. I.e 1st quarter of 2010 or later?

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support