• internal expansion card

12 28.57%
  • external module for RS232

4 9.52%
  • external module for PAB

26 61.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to design the EcoTech module

I would suggest PAB first then create a PAB expansion card for the PII that will work with single devices (Or power bars)

My thoughts are inline with everyone else so far. Backwards compatibility is always nice and will make for greater product sales etc. But there is nothing worse than a product feeling like it could have been better and so if its not possible to bring it to its full potencial on the PII then I'd plump for PAB product.

As said the wireless range of the vortechs is more than a little overstated in the specs and so whichever option having a remote aerial/unit will be neccessary to get it within optimum range of the pumps.

Can you make an external box with both PAB and and RS232 port? That way you could select which interface works better for you.

I have a P3 so, I am all about the PAB and am very excited about this product.

Personally, I think PAB will be the interface of choice for several reasons:

1.) If the PII cant use it anyway, no need to force users to use one of our limited expansions slots or RS232 port

2.) PAB allows users to wire modules farther away from the profilux, which in the case of wireless control of the Vortechs is very important. Limited wireless range might severely impact the performance of the module if we cant get it close enough to the vortech controllers.

3.) Many, many users already complain about having to use their RS232 interface for AI control as it limits the ability to use a View II or Serial connection to a PC while controlling lights. If we have yet another device that uses RS232 it may force people into buying more expansion modules that take up valuable space that could be better served for more L ports, or an extra Ph module etc.

So in short.. PAB all the way. Its a wonderful interface, and would be nice to have more devices that work with it.

Default internal card

I have read all the opinions so far. All good points for sure. My vote would be for a internal card. If my thoughts are incorrect, Mathais please enlighten me.
    To allow everyone the Vortech control option the internal card would be best, IMO. Using the RS would not work for AI users and View II users. The PAB module nearer the Vortechs is a valid point for those with distance issues. But usually our sumps are just below the tank or in an adjacent room so that distance is within the Vortech operating parameters. If running the Profilux at a distance from the main display tank then you are probably already using an expansion box so the card could be used there too. I am sure there are instances that would not fall under these conditions, just my two cents!
    Maybe a PAB module capable of holding one or two cards. This way anyone with multiple tanks or wanting to have say another temp probe at the tank, and Vortech control, could do so without buying the full expansion box. And the Vortech card could still be used by PII and PIII users. I guess I am voting for one and three. LOL neil

One word, PAB.

It's clearly the way forward in terms of expansion, no doubt the reason you guys invented it. So why not exploit it, would seem like a waste of tech not too.

PAB sounds good to me but I really don’t care as long as get the functionality. You could send me a module and a roll of duct tape and I would be happy.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mcrist View Post
    PAB sounds good to me but I really don’t care as long as get the functionality. You could send me a module and a roll of duct tape and I would be happy.

LOL!

Great attitude to have!!

forgive me if im wrong but cant PII users upgrade to a PIII?

In that case then PAB is the only way, you arnt stopping PII users from getting this new tech as there is already a solution to upgrade to a PIII which features PAB.

In all cases we need to move forward, backwards compatibility is fine if the older version is unable to be upgraded, in this case you can so why continue to support old tech.

I have a PII and don't need the expansion capabilities of PAB or the PIII. I'd like the Vortech module and there are probably others like me who may miss out if it means upgrading to a PIII just for this module. An internal card would work for everyone.