Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geiseman GHL upgrade

Hi, glad its of some use!

The EVG is actually floating and isn't touching any of the metal of the case at all. If I had screwn it to the case I would have had to insulate the bottom of it some how to be on the safe side. Instead its cable tied to the bundles of wires so it can move around slightly but not enough to touch any of the case.

Interesting idea you have for swapping the halide gear tray out for an external ballast. Its something I have thought about but have so far been unable to find a suitable dimmable ballast that the GHL could control. Do you have one in mind already?? Just in case you don't know the gear tray is the brown thing in the centre section at the oposite end to where the wires enter the unit. You'll find the power for it passes through one of the side sections underneath the T5 reflector in order that the wires don't have to pass near the halide bulb itself.

One thing that does spring to mind is how do you intend on changing the lamp holders for the halide as 150 and 250w bulb use different sized holders? You would also likely need to change the reflector also. Geisemann may be able to supply 250w parts? I wouldn't have this issue as my halide is already the 250w model.

hi
    chew
    I have ordered the holders and have the ballast,

this weekend i would like to get this done,

As for the reflector I had emailed Geismann.de direct and asked for a price and if the reflector was the same, the reply was the reflector was identical for 150w and 250w. the parts are available.

Himat

Sounds like you have a plan! Make sure you take some pics I'd be interested to see the outcome.

What make and model of ballast do you have?

hi
    did this 150w to 250w upgrade
    the ballast is manual dimmable marine lux 250 ( not dimmable by GHL )
    ( this is my first time posting pics)

DSC00276.jpg

150w showing ballast on one side.
    DSC00282.jpg

the plate shown needs to be removed to allow gear tray to be removed.
    DSC00285.jpg

all the 150 gear removed
    DSC00287.jpg

250w holder mounted on the tray (need to provide four bolts of correct length and thread. hole for this pre threaded as this plate is the same for 150w/250w

DSC00288.jpg

reflecta replaced and all re inserted (the reflecta is the same for 150w/250w)

all this needs doing with care (installing the cable from new ballast in to the light fixing and connecting to the lamp holder wires . ( needs some diy skill )

Nice work!

I'm on the hunt for a ballast thats dimmable by the GHL but as of yet I've been unable to find one!

Nice work and excellent post. Chew mentioned in his first post

I removed one of the 3 power leads as this was no longer needed. The remaining wiring is for the halide, the power lead that will be connected to the new ballasts and the control lead for the GHL which takes the place of the removed lead
    Does this mean that the 2 pairs of T5 tubes/ballasts are now linked and cannot be dimmed independently ? Or can each pair ot T5's still be dimmed independently ?

No they can be dimmed seperately. As the switching and dimming is done by the EVG, the single power cord goes to that and then that powers the balasts seperately depending on the control signals from the GHL.

Thanks Chew.

Have you thought about adding a Simu-spot or Simu-L to your Giesemann Infiniti ? Dues to some shipping issues with a 1200mm Infiniti, I have now changed my order to 2 x 600mm Giesemann Infiniti units (150w halide + 4 x 24w T5). I do not have these Giesemann's in my possesion yet, but I am guessing that you may be able to neatly build in a Simu-spot into the Giesemann (next to the metal halide), or alternatively it may be possible to mount a Simu-L onto one of the sides of the side of the Giesemann unit. The Simu-L is 55cm long, so the same length as the 24w T5's.

I have thought about it and I have a simu-L sat waiting for me to for me to do it. However I don't want it too close to the halide as the 250w get insanely hot. What I intend to do is strip it out of its tube and attach it to the centre of the reflector on one side of the unit so it shines between the T5s. That way it will not be hanging down below the unit and will be well away from the halide heat.

I did consider a simu-spot but on a single halide unit it would be out to the side and so I decided it would either need 2 or look stupid. You'd also need to attach it to the bottom of the unit some how and that would require drilling the unit which I wasn't kean on doing.

Attaching the Simu-L on the reflector between a pair of T5's is an interesting way to do it. I would have thought strapping it to the rear side (ie lengthways) of the unit was the way to go.

Is there any reason why you went with 1-10v ballasts rather than Dali ballasts ? I guess in your case it works out about 20 Euros less expense. Any other reasons ?