Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geiseman GHL upgrade

Default Geiseman GHL upgrade

Thought I'd share my days work (well a couple of hours) with you guys since its GHL related. I've converted my Geisemann light unit to dimmable T5 ballasts that I can now control with my GHL.

I first stripped one side of the unit down and found it all looked fairly simple.

Gave the existing Phillips ballast a tweak and it was just stuck to the inside of the case with some blobs of silicone and came away with some gentle pressure.

So I stripped both ballasts and wiring out of both sides. I removed one of the 3 power leads as this was no longer needed. The remaining wiring is for the halide, the power lead that will be connected to the new ballasts and the control lead for the GHL which takes the place of the removed lead. I had to remove the lamp holders too but these will be re-clipped in place later when wired back up.

Stuck the new ballasts in exactly the same way as the old ones with a couple of blobs of silicone and then left it for a few hours to go off enough to start wiring.

All wired back up including the EVG-AP-2F. Most of the wiring was reused just had to add a few new bits as the wiring for the new ballasts was slightly different and also had to add some extra earth straps for EVG.

All back together and tested working perfectly. Quick wipe down and it was back over the tank and sat playing with cloud simulations etc

thanks - a great job

I think these detailled instructions will make it very easy for everone to convert a lamp to dimmable (and GHL compatible)

Nice retrofit. What make and model of the ballast you installed?

They are Helvar EL2x24s ballasts. Wiring for them is slightly different to the original Philips ones which is why I stripped all the wiring out and re-wired the new ones completely.

Little video of them dimming. Tubes are all ATI and are 2 super blue, one actinic and one pro colour. Halide is off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-s7gpGSoxQ

I've just done a very similar thing with my AquaMedic AquaSunlight NG - I added a second ballast (Osram Dali Dimmable) to make it 4x54W instead of 2x54W and changed the original ballast for another Dali dimmable ballast....I just need to buy the Dali module for the GHL now! If anyone want's to know how to do it I have a thread on Ultimate Reef in the DIY section Cheers, Andy

Hi Chew. Where did you get the Helvar ballasts? Are they only avail in the UK? I am looking at adding 4 x 24w T5s to my PowerModule when I upgrade tanks.

I got them through a friend who is an electrician so I'm not sure on the exact supplier. I'll ask him!

Helvar are sold in quite a few European countries though. Here are a list of their sales offices and contact details. http://www.helvar.com/default.asp?pa...=EN&iDLParam=0

Thanks for the info. I wonder if they are sold in the US? Although I'll be in Hungary next week, so maybe I'll try and pick up some when I'm there, but the voltage may not work for US.

Quote Originally Posted by Chew View Post
    I got them through a friend who is an electrician so I'm not sure on the exact supplier. I'll ask him!

Helvar are sold in quite a few European countries though. Here are a list of their sales offices and contact details. http://www.helvar.com/default.asp?pa...=EN&iDLParam=0

Just looked at the datasheet for them and they only accept 220-240v so they won't work in the US I'm afraid.

I know there have been a few people struggling before with getting hold of any dimmable ballasts except 54w ones for the US. GHL don't supply them as they can't get hold of them I believe.

hi
    chew

great post, i have the same infinity which i had custom ordered from Geisemann, with dimmable ballast. I like the way you have fitted the EVG-AP-2F. I had to fit mine in a external box.

The pictures you have posted will help me to upgarde my 150w to a 250w halide external dimmable.

will consider mounting EVG-AP-2F in side the unit.

thanks

great job