Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redox reading erratic

The nitrareductor filter depends on low level of O2.
    It needs to be operated in -250,
    From the manual of Aquamedic nitratereductor:

"If it exceeds -50 mV, the denitrification reaction may stop at the nitrite stage!
    If it falls below -300 mV, all the nitrate is reduced. The bacteria then start to use sulphate. This is a very undesired process because the end product of this reaction is Hydrogensulfide.
    Hydrogensulfide (H2S) is toxic and smells very strange like fouling eggs."

I have set it to work, in area of -250.
    So, in one sec it is above the next sec is bellow.
    I changed the hysterisis so that powerbar is not allways in a on/off status.
    But, when it goes to -260mV, it opens the flow of the filter, when the flow stops (pump connected to powerbar) I see readings of -150mV.
    It should stop the flow of the filter earlier, but due to hysterisis and that values changes +-5 all the times, P3 stops the flow much later than I wanted.

My goal was to open on -250 and close on -230 and I can't do that (untill you help me ).

Worlds most gadget Aquarium.. almost.

The hysteresis covers the range between the upper switching point to the lower switching point.
    This means
    if you have a set value of -250 and a hysteresis of 50 the upward control will be activated at -250 - (50/2) = -275, the downward control will be activated at -250 + (50/2) = -225, both controls (up and down) will be activated when the wished value is reached.

-> hysteresis must be large enough to reduce frequent switching (in your example due to the +/-5mV)
    -> and must be small enough in order not to switch too late (in your example: -150mV)

if you want to open on -250mV and close on -230mV you need these settings:
    nominal value -240mV (center of wished range), hysteresis 40mV (effective hysteresis for upward control = 40mV / 2 = 20mV)

if it does still switch too late:
    Consider the time lag of your system (so-called "overshot"). Switching off will not immediately stop the raising of the redox!

O.K. Matthias, I just put the settings you told me, I will inform about the readings of mV (about the correct controlling of the nitratereductor).

PS: I just saw that when I put -240mV and press save, it saves the value -239mV, so I put -241mV and with save it went to -240mV. I do not know if this is critical or not, I just thought I should share it since it made me wonder why this happens (in possitive values, whatever I put, pressing save doesn't change it).

Worlds most gadget Aquarium.. almost.