Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firmware upate over USB - unplug powerbars before!

Quote Originally Posted by aqua_digital View Post
    Hi Ken

What I meant was to attempt update using ProfiLux control over direct USB.

You are able to restore ok and then try firmware update over profiLux control USB to USB ?
    This is what I tried to do and the system stopped in the middle of the firmware update. It would not go forward and this is where I had to have a crash course in the flasher program (great program by the way).

There is a forum thread on directions for using and it was exactly what I did and had no problem.

Ken

You cannot keep a good reefer down.

Ken

I did go back and reinstall the firmware "p" using my usb to rs232 and had no problems reinstalling. I would say that my hands were shaking a little when I went to press the button since it took me a little over two hours when I did this with the usb to usb. But went through like it always has before. Like I have said before, I should be a little more scared to press buttons, but hey it all worked out again. If you were looking to me to say that the usb to usb installation of firmware "p" works fine, I can only say the opposite. It stopped in the middle. It was like it lost connection in the middle of the install of the firmware.

Ken

Which is why we call it "beta."

Hi directions are here

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Foru...ead.php?t=1274

The important thing to know here is not if you can do updates using the flasher over USB to USB but instead if you can do an update using profiLux control software over USB to USB.

I can not and neither can my support cases, i guess I am trying to find a Beta tester that can do it this way so we can isolate the differences. At this point I can set up a test bed for support.

The issue is not with profiLux but the many different USB compatibility issues on PC's that then effect the connection to ProfiLux. I just need to create a support data base so all angles are covered, and two hour phone calls getting someone up and running are put into the history books.
    Last edited by aqua_digital; 02.04.2010 at 16:26.

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

I completely understand. My first reaction was to look for your phone number, but then decided I am a big boy. I can do this. I reseached and found the profilux 2 instructions and even went to an old computer and canabalized a "jumper." But that did not work. So I searched the forums and found the link that you gave and followed and it worked like a charm.

I was not able to install firmware p using profiLux control software over USB to USB. It stopped in the middle. I think it dropped the connection. I have had stability issues using the usb to usb all along and switched back to the tried and true rs232. I have an old cable that I bought years ago. It is a usb to rs232 from radioshack. I highly recommend.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by aqua_digital View Post
    Hi directions are here

The issue is not with profiLux but the many different USB compatibility issues on PC's that then effect the connection to ProfiLux. I just need to create a support data base so all angles are covered, and two hour phone calls getting someone up and running are put into the history books.
    I think that I would dispute this at this point. At least I would say that it is a compatibility issue with Windows XP and the profilux usb cord. The connection is still a rs232 connection but is using a usb conversion on both ends. Just my 2 cents.

What maybe some have not noticed and has not been published on the forum is that under the download section of the GHL website there are now TWO USB drivers, it is worth at this point looking at your USB cards chipset and matching the right driver to it. You will need to take direction from Matthias to know what one you have though.

I downloaded one driver and the computer would not recognize it. So I gave up for now.

Ken